[SOLVED] Can I Delete Windows 10 From An Old Drive And Keep My Files?

Feb 17, 2021
PC Specs: (Upgrades)
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (To an x570 MAG Tomahawk)
2 HDDs, 1 SSD, 1 M.2 (+1 M.2 4.0)

So I'm upgrading some parts in my PC (Mobo, CPU, and GPU) but will still keep my old storage drives. Currently, I have Windows 10 on an SSD but when I swap the Mobo I'll also be installing a new M.2 drive that I wish to install my OS. What I was thinking was installing a clean version of Windows 10 on the M.2 then deleting Windows 10 from the SSD. Dumb? Perhaps since I've never reinstalled/reset the OS before, so I would appreciate some help/suggestions on what to do. I want to keep all the files on the SSD so I don't want to format it. I also thought about migrating the OS from the SSD to the M.2 however my current mobo disables 2 SATA ports when I install an M.2 and I currently have 1 M.2 already.

1. Would it be fine to do what I was thinking?
  2. If I can't delete the OS from the SSD can I just keep it on there and set the M.2 as the boot drive without issues?

Solution
If you are getting a new motherboard....don't migrate or clone anything.
Do a clean Windows install.
....and when you do....ONLY have the M2 drive connected that you are installing to.

As far as the other drive...I think it might be easier to move the files you want to keep from the other drive to somewhere else and then just format the other drive (as opposed to trying to delete JUST Windows).
....and when you do....ONLY have the M2 drive connected that you are installing to.

As far as the other drive...I think it might be easier to move the files you want to keep from the other drive to somewhere else and then just format the other drive (as opposed to trying to delete JUST Windows).

Reactions: Letang
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Moving to a new motherboard, cloning is NOT recommended. That is no different than trying to move the original physical drive.

Fresh install on the drive of your choice, in the new hardware.

Reactions: Letang
Feb 17, 2021

I do have an old HDD where I can move the files from the SSD onto. I'd have to buy some extra SATA cables since I have none to spare. That's a good idea though, thank you.