Can I do anything to better my Internet speed? Should I? Here are my specs

EzTec

Distinguished
So my Router's ports in the back only support 10/100Mbps LAN speeds... My motherboard supports up to 1000Mbps... the Ethernet cable I am using is a Cat 5e 26AWG 4PR (not sure what it all means except for the 5e) I am trying to see if i can better my connection... I am learning about everything but figured i'd ask someone who knows more than i do. Should I upgrade my router to support one capable of 1000mbps ports? do I also change my cable? & I guess last will I see a increase of speed of my internet?

So this is my motherboard... GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 It supports max LAN speed - 10/100/1000Mbps

I have this Router Linksys E1500 Wireless-N Router with SpeedBoost has the 4 Ports in the back 4 x 10/100M LAN

Thanks for any help :)

Solution
I would definitely upgrade your router and maybe set up Quality of Service so that the apps you need to have the most bandwidth get the bandwidth that they need. So if you play a lot of online multiplayer games, set those games as well as their host applications (like Steam or Origin) to be within the QoS priorities. CAT5e supports Gigabit Ethernet, so you should be good in that department.
I would definitely upgrade your router and maybe set up Quality of Service so that the apps you need to have the most bandwidth get the bandwidth that they need. So if you play a lot of online multiplayer games, set those games as well as their host applications (like Steam or Origin) to be within the QoS priorities. CAT5e supports Gigabit Ethernet, so you should be good in that department.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Changing your router to one with gigabit ports will only benefit your copying files on the LAN (local) side. You can purchase a gigabit switch and connect everything to that switch with a single connection to the router. That will have the same effect as a router upgrade on wired connectivity.

It will not have the same effect. A switch will only offer speed increases to computers on the local side of the router. If you need to get online then the router only going to 100M will still limit your internet speeds.

In other words, two computers in different rooms on a switch will see a performance increase when communicating directly to each other, but the router will still be bottlenecking your speed to get outside your LAN.

EzTec

Distinguished

Excellent.... I am gonna be on the lookout for a new router then.... I have the Atheros Killer Network Manager so for example if I am playing FPS games or RPG games online I should give these applications running said games the highest level in the priority list? just being clear I tried this before but never checked up on it.

What about if I am downloading torrents, watching tv shows through a streaming service on Firefox It would be best to practice the same principles for these too I am guessing...

Ultimately looking for the new Router I just need to find one that's equipped with the 1000mbps ports in the back? Is there anything else to really look for in the router? besides good reviews :p

EzTec

Distinguished

Thanks for the recommendation but what do you think of these? trying to stay within 100 dollars or right on it... Does Dualband affect LAN Ports? I know it's good for wifi but just checking... Can't tell if these have the QOS either.

TP-LINK Archer C7 Wireless AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Router

ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router

ASUS RT-N56U Wireless Router Dual Band N600

kanewolf

Titan

The OP never mentioned what speed WAN was being paid for. If the poster has 5Mbit DSL, then a gigabit router upgrade won't change anything. 50 Mbit plus might benefit but since that information wasn't provided there is no way to judge that.

EzTec

Distinguished

I dont know currently what my speed is with the service provider but I just did a Speed test and my download is 61mbps my upload is pretty shit though 6.29 in truth I am not sure if this is decent, good, can't be amazing because I am sure I can pay for better but yea those are the numbers.

kanewolf

Titan

If you have 60+Mbit download then a router upgrade could possibly benefit you. A new router should have gigabit WAN and LAN ports. That way if you ever upgrade to a service level above 100Mbit you are not limited.

The C7 is one of the better rated routers over at SmallNetBuilder.com -- http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32196-tp-link-archer-c7-ac1750-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-router-reviewed

crosslhs82

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
Well i'm glad to see atleast 1 person asked about the isp.
I was paying centurylink for 40mgs dwnld and 5mgs upld
On speedtest was getting maybe
25dnld with 4.5upld.
Called and swicthed to 20mgs upld for $5.00 more per month
And now get 45.5dwnld with 18mgs upld.
Check with isp first.

TRENDING THREADS