Question Can I drill the back of my monitor to mount on a desk stand?

zalk

Honorable
Feb 18, 2015
Hello! I'd like to mount my ASUS VX248H on a monitor desk stand, but the monitor is not VESA compatible.

Can I just drill holes on my monitor and mount it directly to the stand? I could use a VESA adapter but they are really ugly and I intend to use the monitor vertically and horizontally.
Is there any risks drilling the holes?

This is the stand.

Thanks!

If you are handy and you still want to do this, you should remove the back cover of the monitor before drilling the holes. Then, make sure the screws you use won’t touch anything inside that they shouldn’t. Check YouTube to find out how to open up the monitor without breaking the plastic (although breaking a few plastic tabs usually happens anyway).

If you are handy and you still want to do this, you should remove the back cover of the monitor before drilling the holes. Then, make sure the screws you use won’t touch anything inside that they shouldn’t. Check YouTube to find out how to open up the monitor without breaking the plastic (although breaking a few plastic tabs usually happens anyway).
It's one of those, 'if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't', it's not that difficult to work on the back panel, offer it up, check depth, do something to secure the panel, but to have someone tell you how to do that and avoid any issues that you may not have been told about is a different story all together.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

zalk

Honorable
Feb 18, 2015
Thank you all for your answers. I have already removed the back panel and saw that there was some space. I intended to screw with the head inside the monitor to avoid damaging the components, but now I'm not sure if it would be sturdy enough. Maybe I'll just use a adapter, better to be safe.

Unless the back shell is specifically made to support it, it won't.
Not with that attitude it wont.

It you don't care about potentially breaking your monitor and potentially breaking whatever is on your desk when your monitor falls, than it is possible. I took the back shell off one of my monitors, drilled 4 holes, glued 4 nuts onto the interior side of the shell, reassembled, and mounted. Works fine, no damage to display, but its not all that stable which is fine as i don't move my screens around.
I would NOT recommend drilling holes, buy an adapter or new monitor, especially since you mention that you want to use your screen horizontally and vertically so I assume you would be adjusting it quite often

zalk

Honorable
Feb 18, 2015
Thanks everybody, it really helped a lot! I decided to play safe and buy an adapter, as it would indeed be risky to mess with something I'm not used.