Question Can I Enable Both Onboard and GPU Graphics For Two Screens?

pcbroooski

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
When I use the AMD Radeon RX 580X 4GB to setup an HDTV and use it as a second monitor, my GPU gets really hot, and I'm not doing anything intense, just browsing (70-80 celcius).

That's why I want to use the onboard graphics for the HDTV and leave the GPU for my Acer H236HL monitor. However, when I went to the BIOS I could not enable the onboard graphics and btw there is a plastic cover on the back of my N50 covering the motherboard HDMI.

My CPU is an i7-8700...so it does have integrated graphics capability.

Is there any way to enable onboard graphics or it just cannot be done?

Thank you.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Running igpu + gpu is motherboard dependant capability, some can and some won't. Motherboard ports are usually disabled if graphics card is installed and if there's no such option in bios to re-enable igpu multi monitor then you're out of luck.

Rx5xx series run hot with multi monitor, more so if refresh rate is different. If refresh rate is not the same, try set both to 60 and see if that helps with idle temps. Think your monitor is 75Hz?

pcbroooski

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
Running igpu + gpu is motherboard dependant capability, some can and some won't. Motherboard ports are usually disabled if graphics card is installed and if there's no such option in bios to re-enable igpu multi monitor then you're out of luck.

Rx5xx series run hot with multi monitor, more so if refresh rate is different. If refresh rate is not the same, try set both to 60. Think your monitor is 75Hz?

I set both the monitor and HDTV to 60hz, and still had the same temperature problem. Both the DP to HDMI cable and GPU were getting really hot.

pcbroooski

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
And resolution the same too?

Try set higher fan curve with Msi Afterburner, keep gpu cooler.

I actually kept the resolution lower on the HDTV. 1024 x 768, with 1920 x 1080 on the Acer monitor.

So increasing the fan speed with MSI Afterburner could keep it cooler? Really. I have it installed but don't know exactly how to tinker with that.

pcbroooski

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
Im reading differences in resolution/hz can elevate memory clock on 5xx series, possibly just running multiple screens can cause that too.

Search youtube how to set fan curve in AB.

Yep, I've figured the fan curve out, but concerned it will damage the fan over time to be running at a higher speeds. I might give undervolting a shot too.

Thanks.

However, when I went to the BIOS I could not enable the onboard graphics and btw there is a plastic cover on the back of my N50 covering the motherboard HDMI.
It's pretty standard to have plastic covers on ports to protect them from dust.
Connect the motherboard HDMI to a monitor HDMI and try again to enable the iGPU, it doesn't make much sense to enable something that isn't connected.
Even if the bios doesn't give any option connect them boot into windows and try installing the igpu drivers.

pcbroooski

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
It's pretty standard to have plastic covers on ports to protect them from dust.
Connect the motherboard HDMI to a monitor HDMI and try again to enable the iGPU, it doesn't make much sense to enable something that isn't connected.
Even if the bios doesn't give any option connect them boot into windows and try installing the igpu drivers.

The plastic cover is like a hard shell cover, you can't pull it to open. Maybe this pre-build was designed for use with GPU only?