Question Can i even put some oil in this case fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViolaMB

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2014
Why are you oiling fans?

every now and then i get this rattling sound from one of the fans. The last time i just put a drop or two of new engine oil that comes in a small plastic container in the middle of the fan, and then the rattling sound dissappeared for a long time. But obviously i forgot that in these fans i never before attempted this. Is it possible that these fans arent designed to put oil in or what am i missing?

kanewolf

Titan
every now and then i get this rattling sound from one of the fans. The last time i just put a drop or two of new engine oil that comes in a small plastic container in the middle of the fan, and then the rattling sound dissappeared for a long time. But obviously i forgot that in these fans a never before attempted this.
If it "rattles" then the bushings (not bearings) are worn. Oil won't magically fix worn parts. Replace the fan or all the fans.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
every now and then i get this rattling sound from one of the fans. The last time i just put a drop or two of new engine oil that comes in a small plastic container in the middle of the fan, and then the rattling sound dissappeared for a long time. But obviously i forgot that in these fans a never before attempted this.
This is a terrible idea given the likelihood of shorting out your system. Just replace the fans.

USAFRet

Titan
That is when you replace the fan.

The noise comes from wear. The shaft is now smaller than the bushing/bearing. Adding oil just covers up the sound.

ViolaMB

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2014
If it "rattles" then the bushings (not bearings) are worn. Oil won't magically fix worn parts. Replace the fan or all the fans.
Well it just makes a louder sound for some minutes right after i turn on my PC. But after about 5-10 minutes the sound/rattling stops. Before the fans i just put a little drop or two in the middle of the fan where you could open the cap and put the oil in. That stopped the loud sound and air flow was normal still after that.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes it is, 5 of them exactly the same. Why spent money on new ones when i can easily like before put some oil in. But i dont know if these Argus fans just dont have the option to put oil in or what?
No, they were not designed for that.

The best advice possible has been given to you. Up to you to decide how to proceed.

Have a good day.

ViolaMB

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2014
1. Are all 5 of these fans making new noise?

2. If you can't find a typical place to introduce new oil, that is for a reason.

Replace as needed.
1. Well no, propably just one of them i'd say.

2. It seems like that yeah, i dont see where or how i can put the oil in.

USAFRet

Titan
In 40 years of working with PCs, both privately and professionally....cumulative millions of running hours on all the fans...I've had to oil any of them exactly zero times.

When a fan starts making noise, replace.

Reactions: ViolaMB

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Stories of oiling fans to make them quieter are OUT OF DATE by two or three decades! Fans in the 80's and 90's were constructed so that you could disassemble them , clean the front and rear bearings, add a small bit of new oil, re-assemble and re-install. Just like you can do with a small desktop fan today. But for a long time now computer fan designs have been quite different, and there is NO way to disassemble without breaking the fan parts, then re-assemble to work properly. Trying to add oil when you cannot disassemble means only that you are pushing oil into places it does NOT belong and making things worse!

Besides, as several people have posted above, the real source of that noise is wear of the bearing causing excess clearance. That does exactly what you say - noise when the fan starts up cold, then quiet after it warms up. Even with old fans, adding oil just was a temporary step until the wear become much worse. The real solution is replacement.

Reactions: ViolaMB
Status
Not open for further replies.