[SOLVED] Can I expand my storage on the Area 51m laptop?

Shadow Slasher

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2016
I have the Area 51m laptop with only 512GB of SSD storage. The thing is that I need more storage to play more games, since call of duty has already taken like 190GB of the total space :/ Can I use an external SSD or HDD to install games there and play them? Or can I just install an internal SSD on my laptop? (That would make me lose the warranty right?)
Any help would be appreciated!

Solution
In general replacing the SSD only voids the warranty if damage occurs as a direct result. Unrelated damage would be covered assuming the upgrade is without issue.

zakitc

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
As far as I can see on youtube dissasembly guides - you have 2.5 hard drive slot and nvme port, so question is - where is your hard drive - is it 2.5 SSD or NVME drive. If its NVME - then it't good as you can just add as big 2.5 hard drive as you want. Only thing - you probably will have to buy cable for it separately. If it's 2.5 inch SSD, you can buy NVME but they are relatively expensive if you want more than 1TB...

This was a quick check - you will need to check specs for your particular machine....

Reffering to warranty - found an answer to similar question on Dell forums, but this is 2017 - things change - so I would confirm with Dell....

"....
Dell will only support the hardware that we shipped. Just adding the SSD will not void the warranty on the hardware that we shipped. With one very important exception =
If you break some other hardware component (plastics, port, motherboard, etc.) by adding the SSD, Dell will not cover replacing that broken part.
Dell does not provide a service to add an SSD and install the operating system. Either you or a local technician will need to do this....."

Last edited: