Can i format a laptop hard drive with my desktop

Canadacorps

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Hello,

I need to format a Seagate Momentum 2.5" 500 GB hard drive for use in my PS3. It has SATA connection and runs at 5400 RPM so compatability isn't an issue. However, it needs to be formatted to FAT32 for the file system before I install it into my PS3.

Can I format the drive with my desktop? I'm thinking I should just be able to disconnect my secondary HDD in my computer and connect the drive, and format it correct?

Canadacorps

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Ok, so what I'm planning to do is use the SATA cable from my secondary HDD in my Desktop and purchase a 4 pin molex to 16 pin SATA power connector.

I shouldn't need to worry about frying my 2.5" drive during the process, is this correct?

I am going to try connecting the drive internally, because I initially used an external enclosure, but for some reason when it connected to my PC via the USB port, Windows would only recognize it as a 20 MB hard drive????

Canadacorps

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Nope it's a self-build from like 4-5 years ago. the power supply comes with MOLEX power plugs only. (well, as far as I could see from looking at it briefly last night)

Canadacorps

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Not true, according to PlayStation Support. I called them and verified that the drive won't format in the PS3 because it is RAW.

Then, just to test, I tried putting it in the ps3. It would get to 76 percent of the format process and simply quit.

Anyways, I tried connecting my 2.5" drive to my desktop after removing my usual secondary drive, and I get to the windows screen and then a blue screen error quickly flashes and the computer reboots. ARGH!! I'm so frustrated by this whole process.

Canadacorps

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Could be that the rep didn't know what they were talking about.

I recently found out that the issue is the 3.41 version of the software does not work when you are trying to install a new HDD. Sony "says" they are working to fix it, but I fear I may have a useless PS3 until they issue a new software update (and even then, hope and pray that it fixes the issue!)