[SOLVED] Can I format only 1 partition on HDD without losing data on whole disk?

May 4, 2019
My HDD had 2 partitions (C : and E : both 500GB. I recently bought Samsung 860 EVO and I didn't want to clean install Windows there, so I used Samsung Data Migration software to clone my C : drive into SSD. Now SSD is C : drive as bootable (I set it in BIOS) and old partitions were changed to E : and G: (old C : ). G : is 1:1 clone of C : so I want to erase it completely and use it for another data. Can I format this partition without losing all of my data on E : ?

Solution
My HDD had 2 partitions (C : and E : both 500GB. I recently bought Samsung 860 EVO and I didn't want to clean install Windows there, so I used Samsung Data Migration software to clone my C : drive into SSD. Now SSD is C : drive as bootable (I set it in BIOS) and old partitions were changed to E : and G: (old C : ). G : is 1:1 clone of C : so I want to erase it completely and use it for another data. Can I format this partition without losing all of my data on E : ?
Yes, Disk Management should be able to do this.

However, you should really really have a good backup of the entire drive. Mistakes happen.

Also, have you actually verified that the system boots up with only the new drive? Physically disconnect the old drive and...

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, Disk Management should be able to do this.

However, you should really really have a good backup of the entire drive. Mistakes happen.

Also, have you actually verified that the system boots up with only the new drive? Physically disconnect the old drive and test this.

Solution