Can I get a pro to double check this first OC

Apr 6, 2018
i7 8700k 5.0GHZ
32gb DDR4 3200
1080TI Extreme
Z370 Extreme 4 mobo
860 SSD

my cooler is NH D15, 2 fans 2 rads

I did an initial 5.0ghz set at 1.35 volts. Here is what I am getting from cpu-z, and hwmonitor, could a seasoned eye look at this and tell me if I should back the voltage down. I saved up for this computer and want to make sure i take care of it. I can order a kraken X62, contained water cooler for the cpu as well but I am wanting to see how this d15 handles.

Thanks in advance!

Here is the cpu-z screen cap
https://ibb.co/eFerpx

And HWmonitor log, I hosted it with uploadfiles.io, I can change it if need be.
https://ufile.io/m3crv

Solution
Everything looks fine, far as I can tell, however, what you haven't established is if the pc is stable and where those temps are coming from. There's a lot to overclocking, such as setting the AVX offset to 2 (200MHz) which will back down the OC to 4.8GHz and lower vcore slightly to keep working temps in the advent the cpu is using AVX instructions.

Temps on Intel are best done using Prime95 small fft, gives a clean 100% load that's equitable to a 100% cpu gaming load. Temps after @10-15minutes should be still under 70ish°C.

Asus RealBench should be used to test for stability. It'll punish the entire pc, cpu-ram-gpu etc. If a pc can survive several passes of RealBench its more than likely stable. If it fails, so did the OC and you'll...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Everything looks fine, far as I can tell, however, what you haven't established is if the pc is stable and where those temps are coming from. There's a lot to overclocking, such as setting the AVX offset to 2 (200MHz) which will back down the OC to 4.8GHz and lower vcore slightly to keep working temps in the advent the cpu is using AVX instructions.

Temps on Intel are best done using Prime95 small fft, gives a clean 100% load that's equitable to a 100% cpu gaming load. Temps after @10-15minutes should be still under 70ish°C.

Asus RealBench should be used to test for stability. It'll punish the entire pc, cpu-ram-gpu etc. If a pc can survive several passes of RealBench its more than likely stable. If it fails, so did the OC and you'll have to figure out why.

Oc is a lot more than just bumping the multiplier and vcore voltages. My best recommendation is to surf everything OC related on your board, bios, cpu, even going to Asus ROG website forums and looking up what ppl are doing to get stable OC at 5.0GHz. The names of settings might be different, Google anything that is, but the theory behind OC is the same no matter what brand board or bios.

Solution
Apr 6, 2018

Apr 6, 2018
Im at 68 c stable, gaming load, I am ordering a liquid cpu cooler as well. I do appreciate you taking the time to answer, I was nervous as overclocking is a new venue for me.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
As it is for many of us. I got used to OC with old amd, then 775 Intel and jumpers. Then middling amd, and Ivy-Bridge. Add it the new stuff Haswell used like ring voltages, and there's more. OC on the new Ryzens is different again from prior.

So OC is quite often something new, even for ppl who have been at it a while, we just have a basic understanding of the process, the specifics change from vendor to vendor.