[SOLVED] Can I get away with just a GPU upgrade until next year?

RXS78

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Hi all

I am just about to build my son his first system and will be recycling some pretty much identical parts to those in my own rather neglected 2013 build. It has been so long I couldn't even remember my log-in details for the forum! I want to start a long-overdue phased upgrade of mine as well - "phased" because the budget won't stretch to 2 brand new, contemporary builds right now.

I don't have time to game very often nowadays, but would like to be able to enjoy at least decent frame rates on current titles when I get chance (at 1080p). I never got round to OC'ing (I know...wasting my current CPU...I apologise) but time constraints just don't allow for this right now.

Here's what I have...

CPU: i5-4670K
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H
RAM: Ripjaws X 2x4GB DDR3 1600
GPU: GTX 760 2GB
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750
Case: Fractal Design R5

Here's what I'm thinking...

1. Use my other i5-4670K, a redundant Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3, my own 8GB RAM and the second GTX 760 to form the basis of my son's first system. I'll need to buy a case, PSU, Windows and all peripherals. This will be basic but I'm hoping it will get him over the initial Minecraft/Fortnite/browser games phase for a year. I can sort these parts out because I'm not planning to go OTT so will focus on a quality PSU and then basics for the rest for now. Estimating £400.

2. I now have 4x4GB DDR3 1600 sat idle from another system so I'll pop that in my system for now, and then upgrade the GPU to something like the GTX 1660 Super or Ti. Approx £230-£250.

3. Then replace the CPU, MOBO & DDR next year. Estimating I'll need to spend another £600-£700 then if I do both systems.

But is upgrading my GPU just going to bottleneck my system because of the older CPU?? If that's the case, I'm probably better off spending more on his now and leaving mine entirely until next year I think.

I'm pretty out of touch nowadays so your advice would be very much appreciated!

EDIT - forgot to add, we have plenty of storage already so no need to worry about that - various smaller SSDs and HDDs floating around.

Solution
No problems at all as happy to help...

For me you have 2 choices if the 5700 is out. The Gigabyte 1660 Super OC or the Gigabyte 1660Ti Windforce OC. Both have good cooling and will do a great job. The MSI Ventus just is not that great though MSI makes some of the best GPU's but you have to go the Gaming X and Z series for that.

For the cost effective option the Palit 1660 Super Gaming Pro is not bad at all also...
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/palit-geforce-gtx-1660-super-gamingpro-oc-review,1.html

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Upgrading the GPU and you should be good enough for medium to high settings in nearly every game out until you can replace everything else. A GTX 1660 TI, Super or RX 5700 or a used 1080TI would pair well with that i5. A small SSD for Windows to boot off of would be a nice addition provided you don't have one.

Reactions: RXS78

RXS78

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Thanks Delaro

Yes, the boot drive is already SSD, coupled with a 2TB HDD for storage etc. I was about to up the SSD to a 1TB 860 Evo, but that's a less urgent upgrade really. I'm thinking that can perhaps wait until the new CPU/MOBO.

I've always been very wary of buying used GPUs tbh - probably quite irrationally. Would people recommend a used 1080Ti over a new 1660 Ti/Super? Looking at current pricing the 5700 is stretching the budget further than I wanted - but I'll see what happens to pricing over the weekend.

Yep you will be more than fine with the GPU upgrade to tide you over until a motherboard, CPU and RAM change. The 4670K is still not a bad gaming CPU and the 1660 Super will do a great job in improving FPS all around especially at 1080P. Save your money and get the Super instead of the Ti as they are just too close in performance....

On second hand, if you can find a 1080Ti at a good price you can't really go wrong as it is still one hell of a power house though there is always the worry that it has been abused/mining etc!!! The 5700 is also a great bet as it is very well priced and more than capable....choices, choices...

My thinking has always been buy the very best you can with your budget so if you can stretch to the 5700 then do so..

RXS78

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
Thank you vMax

So I've had another look around. The 1080Ti is still massively above my budget second-hand so that is out, and the 5700 may be possible but only if there is a good deal available over the BF/CM weekend, so I'll keep an eye out.

That means that, as things stand, I'm looking at the 1660 series depending on any good deals for 5700 or perhaps the Vega 64 if it drops. Could I ask for some opinions on the 1660 options while I keep searching please?

1660 option
MSI Armour OC 1660 - £180

1660 Super - Cheapest Options
Zotac Twin Fan
Palit GamingPro
(both approx £215)

1660 Super - Preferred (personal preference on brands)
Gigabyte OC
MSI Ventus XS OC
Asus Dual Evo Oc
(all are £228-£230)

1660 Ti - cheapest options
MSI Armour OC
Gigabyte Windforce OC
(both are £235)

I feel like there is likely to be a significant enough performance increase to rule out the 1660 (which I guess I included as a 'budget conscious option'). So I am happy to rule that out.

I like Gigabyte & ASUS (served me well in the past and feel v comfortable with these brands) so was originally looking at the 1660 Super with one of them. But with the minimal cost difference it seems sensible to then just go with the Ti?

But am I being unfairly judgemental towards Zotac/Palit? I've never used them and automatically stereotype them as somehow 'not as good' - but if I am going to stick with the Super, is it better to just get the cheapest one? I haven't seen any 'head-to-head reviews' to help me out on this.

So it's £180 for the 1660 vs £215 for the cheaper Super vs £235 for the cheaper Ti I suppose - looking for a cost/benefit suggestion please.

Apologies for the dithering! And I will keep an eye out for deals on the 5700 (& Vega 64 if you thinks that's worth keeping a eye for).

For me you have 2 choices if the 5700 is out. The Gigabyte 1660 Super OC or the Gigabyte 1660Ti Windforce OC. Both have good cooling and will do a great job. The MSI Ventus just is not that great though MSI makes some of the best GPU's but you have to go the Gaming X and Z series for that.

For the cost effective option the Palit 1660 Super Gaming Pro is not bad at all also...
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/palit-geforce-gtx-1660-super-gamingpro-oc-review,1.html

Solution

RXS78

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011

That is just what I was looking for vMax - thank you!

So given the minimal cost difference, the Gigabyte Windforce Ti is now my target - unless I can spot a tasty deal on the 5700 over the weekend. Your previous advice on Super over Ti is still in mind, but for some reason the prices are pretty much identical on these 2 options right now so I guess that's a win.

Dec 31, 2019
Hi guys.

I'm also looking at replacing my aged AMD Radeon HD 7770 2gb card for something newer. Can anyone advise and best bang for buck cards around the £100 secondhand.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Hi guys.

I'm also looking at replacing my aged AMD Radeon HD 7770 2gb card for something newer. Can anyone advise and best bang for buck cards around the £100 secondhand.

If your not in the US the used market is going to fluctuate rapidly, here the market is literally flooded.

Realistically for under £100 these would be your best bet.

980 GTX/ RX 570 around £71
1060 6gb £100
RX 580 slight stretches your budget since they average £106

Check Reddit/hardwareswap in your region to verify what prices are viable.

To the op, I'm in the US, but picked up an rx 580 8gb used for just over 100. Just watch the feedback from the seller and you should be ok. That should be a good boost over the 760. Another cheap upgrade would be bump the ram to 16gb, then see where you are.

Or if you have the budget like others said for a 1660 super or ti, or RX 5700, you can carry that to a new system later.