Can I get my pics, videos and apps back if I factory reset my phone (Nexus 6P)

Skooby

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Details:

My phone is stuck on the Google logo screen. I got a “storage limit” reaching capacity popup before it restarted. But it just sat there at the google logo where it has the colored dancing balls.

I already called google customer service and they tried everything except a factory reset (clearing the cache, etc…). My phone is out of warranty so he said I have to send it to Huawei for repair. But I don’t want to send it since it’ll probably take a long time to come back plus I’d probably have to pay a lot since i’m out of warranty. On top of that, I’m going out of town in a few weeks and don’t want to take the chance that I won’t have my phone.

I believe I synced my phone since when I go to my google.photos.com, I see all my photos and videos. Also, all my contacts are there in contacts.google.com. Also, I saw in the Google Drive that I have a “Nexus 6P backup” file that was updated just yesterday.

So what will happen if I factory reset the phone?

Is there a way to get back your apps after a factory reset?

Thanks for any help.

Solution
It sounds like you have a dead phone (for argument's sake).

The good thing is that you have your files in the cloud (so to speak). I would recommend copying those cloud files to a PC/laptop so you have a backup before you try anything.

Then, try resetting the phone. See if it revives and works at all. Otherwise, you will have to replace the phone, but you'll still have your files (this is a good thing).

Skooby

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

I didn't do any specific backup since I though google did it through the sync, but I'm not sure. I'm looking at my contacts, photos and videos from the google apps (photos and contacts apps) through my gmail. (I'm on my PC).

Is that in the cloud? I'm wondering if it'll still be there if I factory reset the phone.

Skooby

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

No, I'm not able to access the phone. It stays at the google logo startup with the colored dancing balls. I was another phone (non-smartphone) for over an hour last night with a tech from Google Project Fi (we did everything except factory reset). He finally suggested that I sent the phone to Huawei. But I want to avoid that if possible.

Can I somehow move some large video files from the google photos cloud to my PC hard drive? Then delete them from that cloud?

Skooby

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

Yes I have. Nothing comes up on my computer that recognizes an external device.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It seems the phone isn't initializing to the point where the PC can recognize it (or you have to unlock the phone to allow access).

Can you start the phone in Safe Mode?

https://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-6p-problems-fixes-664072/

Skooby

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

The guide says I have to be at the home screen. I can't even get to that point. It's stuck at the colored dancing logo balls.

I just put it to the point where it shows the dead Android robot. It says at the bottom the device is locked.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It sounds like you have a dead phone (for argument's sake).

The good thing is that you have your files in the cloud (so to speak). I would recommend copying those cloud files to a PC/laptop so you have a backup before you try anything.

Then, try resetting the phone. See if it revives and works at all. Otherwise, you will have to replace the phone, but you'll still have your files (this is a good thing).

Solution

Skooby

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

I just found at way to place the videos on my hard drive. I'm going to delete them off the cloud once I download them all. I guess the only thing to try now is the factory reset and hope that works.

Thanks for your help.

Skooby

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

It worked! And the phone storage is only at 19%. I'm going to be watching it close from now on.

Thanks!