[SOLVED] Can I have my router set priorities?

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
So I have terrible internet for gaming. Not unplayable, around 8mbps download and 2-4 mbps upload. 100-200 latency, can go down to 60ms if I’m lucky some days, but there not often. I have the only internet option in my area. I checked, and my internet has a buffer bloat rating of a D. Not much I can do about it.

I have a CISCO Linksys E3000 router. I have a wired connection to it (via power line adapter). I have other people in my household, they normally only use the internet to stream tv, but they do it often. I’m in an Esports team and play competitive overwatch, and sometimes stream, I am at a huge disadvantage because of my latency.

I looked at my router online, it seems to be “the best basic router” I looked and I think I have a manual, I’m pretty sure I can set priorities. When tv isn’t being streamed I get decent latency and speeds. I’m pretty sure on the manual it says that you can set priorities, but to do that you need to plug your computer in the USB port. I see that the router does have a USB port, but it’s on the basement, and my desktop pc is upstairs, and I don’t have a laptop, which is why I use a power line adapter.

So here is my question: Can I use my router and set my gaming/streaming as a priority to be processed before streaming tv? (I’m pretty sure I’m currently being processed last, my latency has been up to 5000ms one time), and if I can, could I do that without using a usb? If not, are there other ways I can do something similar?

Solution
Pretty much a complete waste of time get a different router.

What does high medium low actually mean. How much bandwidth does each person get. But it all doesn't even matter.

This only works on the upload side of your network. From your description it is the download that is overloaded. This router has no ability to have any effect on that.

You need a router that can limit upload and download to fixed rates. Even then it only works to some extent unless you severely limit all other users. This is because the rates are average rates and you can get spikes. You have set the average limit so low that the spikes are also limited. Larger internet connection do much better because there is more bandwidth to hide the spikes.
Pretty much a complete waste of time get a different router.

What does high medium low actually mean. How much bandwidth does each person get. But it all doesn't even matter.

This only works on the upload side of your network. From your description it is the download that is overloaded. This router has no ability to have any effect on that.

You need a router that can limit upload and download to fixed rates. Even then it only works to some extent unless you severely limit all other users. This is because the rates are average rates and you can get spikes. You have set the average limit so low that the spikes are also limited. Larger internet connection do much better because there is more bandwidth to hide the spikes.

Solution