[SOLVED] Can I host a website on my computer without getting a domain from somewhere?

Mar 18, 2021
My understanding of universal IP address is that we are able to pin-point a particular PC. So can a people from all over the world enter in my IP address and then view the HTML page that my computer will serve them? If so, how?

Solution
My understanding of universal IP address is that we are able to pin-point a particular PC. So can a people from all over the world enter in my IP address and then view the HTML page that my computer will serve them? If so, how?
Unknown. Your home router is what had the public IP address. That is what allows multiple devices in your home to have internet access simultaneously.
IF you have a public IP address, and you will have to verify that, then you would have to use a dynamic domain name service (DDNS) to associate a name with your public IP address.
You also have to allow standard webserver data ports through your firewall. THAT is a very dangerous thing. Bots are always trying to find webservers that are not...

kanewolf

Titan
Unknown. Your home router is what had the public IP address. That is what allows multiple devices in your home to have internet access simultaneously.
IF you have a public IP address, and you will have to verify that, then you would have to use a dynamic domain name service (DDNS) to associate a name with your public IP address.
You also have to allow standard webserver data ports through your firewall. THAT is a very dangerous thing. Bots are always trying to find webservers that are not securely configured and exploit them. By allowing standard webserver traffic through the firewall you are opening that door.
For something like what you want, it is better to look for a free/low cost webhosting option -- https://www.wpbeginner.com/showcase/best-free-website-hosting-compared/
If you are a student, there may be additional options.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming this is a standard residential connection, your public IP address can change. Totally up to your ISP.
You would port forward through your router to whatever the internal IP address is of your PC.

However, serious security concerns present themselves.
You are making your system and its contents open to the outside world.

Your current public IP address gets scanned all the time. As does everyones. Currently, your router throws those access attempts away.

By opening up that firewall with a direct line to your PC, you are in fact letting the whole world gain access to everything on it. Everything.

This is a very bad idea.