[SOLVED] Can I install 2 Nvme M.2 SSD's on a motherboard with only 1 M.2 slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delcarto

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
Hello. I have a Gigabyte Z390 motherboard. My custom built PC came configured with one M.2 Nvme SSD. I want to add a new and faster Nvme SSD and make it my boot drive. Then I want to use the old Nvme SSD as a data drive.
The problem is that my motherboard only has 1 M.2 slot. Is there a way to accomplish this anyway? Is there a Pcie x4 expansion card that can be used for adding the second M.2 Nvme SSD?
Thank you for reading my post. Any and all help is much appreciated.
Del.

Solution
Hi Ritchiestang. Thanks for replying.
My motherboard is a lower level Z390 I think. The actual model is Z390 UD. UD stands for Ultra Durable. It indeed seems to have only one M.2 slot. However there are 2 Pci-E x4 slots available. Would I need to place the new faster drive in the actual M.2 slot? Or can I use the new drive on the adapter as my boot drive?
Additionally, do you have any recommendations as to who makes a good adapter?
Sorry to pepper you with questions on this. I'm an older guy and this new stuff is beyond my understanding. My computer skills and knowledge were current 20 years ago ha ha.
Let me know what you think.
Del.

The boot drive should be in the M.2 slot, Ive heard there can be issues with trying to use a...

delcarto

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
My motherboard is a lower level Z390 I think. The actual model is Z390 UD. UD stands for Ultra Durable. It indeed seems to have only one M.2 slot. However there are 2 Pci-E x4 slots available. Would I need to place the new faster drive in the actual M.2 slot? Or can I use the new drive on the adapter as my boot drive?
Sorry to pepper you with questions on this. I'm an older guy and this new stuff is beyond my understanding. My computer skills and knowledge were current 20 years ago ha ha.
Del.

Del.

The boot drive should be in the M.2 slot, Ive heard there can be issues with trying to use a PCIe Adapter card for boot.

As far as certain brands these days it seems like PCIe Expansion cards are typically noname and youll have to just get what is available online. Startech has some decent stuff but mainly just read reviews, especially verified purchase reviews. Silverstone and ASUS also makes some (if you can find them online) but IMO they cost far too much.

Solution
Jan 15, 2024
Excellent. Thanks Ritchiestang. Thats what I needed to know. You''re a huge help.
Now I can begin my search for the right hardware.
Del.
Hey. A bit of an old post but I’m facing the same issue, with the same exact motherboard you have.
If I may ask, what did you end up buying? Do you feel any drop in performance because of the adapter? Is it reliable? Did you face any issues at all?

Thanks in advance 🙏🏻

Status
Not open for further replies.