[SOLVED] Can i install a motherboard with only 6 standoffs (ATX)?

Jan 10, 2019
The mx330 has 6 preinstalled standoffs, but the msi b450a pro has 9 mounting holes. Wondering if it would be ok to install a motherboard with 6 standoffs without the other 3.
The ones that are missing are 3 on the left side of the case so to me it looks like if you would install it, the left and middle will be secure but not the left.
I dont think the motherboard will come in contact with the case in the left side.
So will it be fine to do it?

Solution
Personally, I would not ever install a motherboard without all of the required standoffs being in place. There is WAY too much potential for damage to the motherboard from flexion without them where they belong, and ONLY where they belong. The rigidity offered by the placement of the standoffs might not be 100% necessary on some of the higher end motherboards that have very thick PCB substrate, but mid and lower tiered boards that are a bit thinner are a lot more likely to bend or flex which can absolutely cause excessive stress to traces and solder points on the board, and that's not an optimal outcome for anybody. Standoffs are cheap. Put them where they are supposed to be.

You can buy a full standoff kit for like five bucks on...
Personally, I would not ever install a motherboard without all of the required standoffs being in place. There is WAY too much potential for damage to the motherboard from flexion without them where they belong, and ONLY where they belong. The rigidity offered by the placement of the standoffs might not be 100% necessary on some of the higher end motherboards that have very thick PCB substrate, but mid and lower tiered boards that are a bit thinner are a lot more likely to bend or flex which can absolutely cause excessive stress to traces and solder points on the board, and that's not an optimal outcome for anybody. Standoffs are cheap. Put them where they are supposed to be.

You can buy a full standoff kit for like five bucks on Amazon OR just about any PC repair shop will probably GIVE you a handful of them for free.

Solution