Can i install CPU having TDP 95W on the motherboard supporting CPU having highest TDP of 65W ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer_newbie1

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
My Current Configuration is

MaibBoard : biostar Socket : 775
G31D-M7 Ver. 7.x/8.x
http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=386#cpu

CPU :
Socket Processor Processor Model sSpec/OPN# CPU Speed FSB/HT/BCLK Watts
775 Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E7300 SLAPB 2.66 GHz 1066MHz 65W

GPU : NVIDIA 9400GT 1 GB 16x

Memory : 3 GB DDR2

HDDs : 1 PATA 160 GB
2 SATA 500 GB & 2 TB

I am willing to upgrade my CPU to Core2Quad socket- LGA 775 .Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8300 / Q9650/some other socket 775 core 2 quad CPU

And i am looking for used ones, there are many available on the markets are having

Max TDP 95 W

and as per mobtherboard site manufacturer it says .

CPU TDP over 65W is not available. Please refer to CPU support for further information.

1) So my question is can i install and use any Socket 775 CPU on my motherboard ?

i mean CPU having TDP 95 W ?

or i have to choose CPU of having MAX TDP 65W ?

I can upgrade the fan/other cooling methods if heat is the only issue .

2) will it cause lower the performance because of installing higher TDP CPU ?
I mean will it cause issues other than heating if i install high TDP CPU
e.g Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8300 , Q9650

I read the TDP definition, but didnt understand the whole as English isnt my first language.

Thanks for your time.

Solution
In that CPU generation, the voltage regulators were still on the mainboard (while the new Core i-models have them integrated in the CPU). If your mainboard manufacturer specifies that only CPUs with up to 65W TDP are supported, it is likely that the onboard voltage regulators cannot supply more power. Either that, or they are insufficiently cooled for such a load.

The CPU will probably boot up, but when you put it under heavy load, especially for an extended amount of time, it is likely that your system will overheat. Either that, or the voltage regulators will fail to provide stable voltages at 95W in the first place. Your system will crash. Even hardware damage to the voltage regulators is possible (i.e. your mainboard goes...
I have two similar Dell Optiplex 755 desktop computers. Same version of motherboards

One has CPU - Core 2 Duo E6750 - TDP 65 watts

The other has CPU - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - TDP 95 watts

Both computers have the same type of heatsink and the same version of Power Supply - they both work fine.

Based on this I don't see any issues.

Reactions: Wafrik88

computer_newbie1

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Thanks for your reply.
the thing is i am not planning to get new system right now as budget is not that much to buy CPU + board + RAM
but i can get used CPUs for less and dont have to change any other things or current setup.

when the time will be right , my dream is to buy i7 extreme with 24 gigs , so for now i am gonna stick to the current rig.

computer_newbie1

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Thanks for your reply,
Can you give more info like whats the highest TDP your board supports ?
Or maybe you can provide me your MotherBoard model so i can check it.

Yes. Both desktops have the exact motherboard - (Dell) 0GM819 - Q35 - ICH9DO

The E6750 runs Windows Vista, (SYSmark 2007 is 153)

The Q9550 runs 64-bit Windows 8.1 (converted to Win 8 about a year ago) with DDR2 RAM 800 MHz, 8 GB total which is the max that this board will support. SYSmark 2007 is 180. This computer runs almost as fast as my i7 920 overclocked computer (SYSmark 2007 is around 200).

DeathAndPain

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
In that CPU generation, the voltage regulators were still on the mainboard (while the new Core i-models have them integrated in the CPU). If your mainboard manufacturer specifies that only CPUs with up to 65W TDP are supported, it is likely that the onboard voltage regulators cannot supply more power. Either that, or they are insufficiently cooled for such a load.

The CPU will probably boot up, but when you put it under heavy load, especially for an extended amount of time, it is likely that your system will overheat. Either that, or the voltage regulators will fail to provide stable voltages at 95W in the first place. Your system will crash. Even hardware damage to the voltage regulators is possible (i.e. your mainboard goes defective).

I would not risk that.

Solution

computer_newbie1

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Thank for your reply,
This clears my issue. Instead of taking risk, i would rather buy the ones it supports.

like these

Socket Processor Processor Model sSpec/OPN# CPU Speed FSB/HT/BCLK Watts
775 Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9505s QMLU 2.83 GHz 1333Mhz 65W
775 Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q9400s SLG9U 2.66 GHz 1333MHz 65W
775 Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8400s QLRY 2.66 GHz 1333Mhz 65W
775 Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8200s SLG9T 2.33 GHz 1333MHz 65W

computer_newbie1

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

Thanks for the info, still cant figure out the max TDP supported by your motherboard.
looking in to it., thanks.

Pritam Chakraborty

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014
Well i do have the same problem.
I do have the same motherboard with intel pentium dual core E3500 @ 2.6ghz
i want to buy a 2nd hand core 2 quad for my mobo but the TDP is messing it up. moreover i can't find the 's' type model in india even in 2nd hand what should i do.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
It depends. As long as the motherboard boots with the 'new' processor it will work even with the wattage differences. But the higher watt CPU may take a toll on the motherboard after a few years.

I remember on a prebuilt HP/Compaq PC I had came with an AMD Athlon X2 4050E. That's a 45W TDP processor. Later I installed a AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ which is a 125W TDP processor. There were no issues for several years ~3-5 years. But one day the motherboard stopped working. After looking at the motherboard closely the VRM/MOSFET area was a brownish color probably signifying some sort of burnout. The weak VRM/Power Phase was stressed with the large increase in CPU wattage.

Looking at your motherboard I think its a 2+2 Power Phase at best. My motherboard was 3+2. Additionally there is no adequate cooling (heatsink/fan) for your VRM so the VRM would heat up even more.

DuRoi

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
If you don´t want to spend much money and you want a Core 2 Quad Q9650, also if you don´t want to Extreme Overclock, go for a ASRock G41C-GS, it will do the job for you. Also you can use ddr2 or ddr3 memory sticks on it.

Here: http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/g41c-gs/

computer_newbie1

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

the only solution is upgrade your mobo and cpu, get second hand mobo+cpu combination from local market or from internet .,

i am still in same situation as buying core2 quad is quite expensive and cant find the speciufic models which have lower TDP, so we are stuck in thic condition where we cant uprade just cpu, we have to upgrade mobo too and newer mobo needs newer types of RAM, so its the whole box we need to upgrade..

good luck

Jul 21, 2020
I have two similar Dell Optiplex 755 desktop computers. Same version of motherboards

One has CPU - Core 2 Duo E6750 - TDP 65 watts

The other has CPU - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - TDP 95 watts

Both computers have the same type of heatsink and the same version of Power Supply - they both work fine.

Based on this I don't see any issues.
I think you're motherboars can support that processors and is not a 65 tdw only
I tried mine it boots at first but then it won't so i wont recommend it

Status
Not open for further replies.