Can i install video card in PCIe x16slote

Mar 26, 2018
I wanted to buy new video card, GTX 730 Ddr5 2GB, and my mother board is G41-S2PT but i don't know if it will work fine or not, i asked some people and they said you can't

Your motherboard only has a PCIe 1.1 slot.

According to PCIe standards a PCIe 2.0 Video card should work since it requires the same amount of Power as a PCIe 1.1 card; however, there is no guaranty.

If the video card is a PCIe 2.1, the chances that it will work is far less since most of the cards require more power. However, some motherboard manufacturers provided BIOS updates to fix the issue.

Be aware that to data transfer rate is 2.5GT/s for PCIe 1.1 and 5GT/s for PCIe 2.0, which means the video card will not run to its full potential.

Personally, if you want to try it, I would make sure to buy a PCIe 2.0 video card.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The card should be perfectly compatible with that motherboard. As would most any gfx card with a PCIe x16 interface. PCIe is a backward compatible interface, so versions are usually no issue. I'm not sure what scout_03 is referring to since we don't know what case you are using or which GT 730 you would get.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That's not an issue. A 2-slot card will clear that. I have several older boards that have the PCI slot next to the PCIex16 slot. Any card will fit.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

PCI slots are slightly taller than PCIe slots, but it's not an issue. It's the same situation on my mobo (GA-Z170M-D3H)
https://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll1280/13-128-845-06.jpg

I've installed at least 4 or 5 different cards without issue. You'd have to have a graphics card cooler/heatsink that extends pretty much all the to the top of the PCIe connectors at the bottom of the card, and I don't think that's a thing. Certainly a low power card with a GT 730 wouldn't have some massive heatsink.

Mar 26, 2018

Should i update BIOS or something?

I have WI-FI car in other white pci is it ok?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, you can use it. It should require no BIOS update. Plug and play.

Solution
Mar 26, 2018

Ok, i'm going to buy it tomorrow