Can I install windows 10 on my hard drive that I have been using for storage?

Jul 21, 2018
I want to use the HDD that I've been using for storage as the boot drive for me OS. Will I be able to use a usb to install windows to that drive, also are there any changes that need to be made to the storage/boot settings in the bios if so?

Solution
A drive is a drive. Most definitely yes you can install windows onto your storage drive. There's just one thing to remember. In the process windows will partition/format the drive to become C, so any data already on the drive will be lost. It's totally best if the new drive is the only drive installed and windows is installed from a USB with the necessary windows version previously saved/fixed with the media creation tool available from Microsoft. This prevents the new windows drive from accessing other drives and messing with them too.

You could use a USB installation media to install Windows 10 on that HDD.
I suggest you disconnect any other drives until you are done installing Windows.
Make sure you backup any data on the HDD you are installing Windows.
Select the custom installation during setup and delete all partitions on the HDD.
Select that drive as the default boot device in the BIOS.
Power off and connect any other drives.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A drive is a drive. Most definitely yes you can install windows onto your storage drive. There's just one thing to remember. In the process windows will partition/format the drive to become C, so any data already on the drive will be lost. It's totally best if the new drive is the only drive installed and windows is installed from a USB with the necessary windows version previously saved/fixed with the media creation tool available from Microsoft. This prevents the new windows drive from accessing other drives and messing with them too.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, but...

Give us a clear description of what drives you have, what is on each.
And why you want to move this.