Can I install windows 8 if I have a hal .dll error upon initial boot up

Connor Myers

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
I was fortunate enough to acquire a computer that has windows xp and a few months after I got it I got this error one day just surfing the web boot.dta or something like that now all I get is the Hal.dll I have a windows 8 operating system disk but have no idea how to install it with this error popping up. Please someone help.

If you have the dvd boot from it. Go into the BIOS put the dvd in change the bootdisk to the DVD. Save settings

Reboot.

That hal stop is usually CPU related. Check that its not overheating/overclocked.

Has that Win8 DVD been installed on another system?

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
If the "new" computer has/had Windows XP, the first thing that I would do would be to crack the case open and clean it out (fans/heatsinks specifically), potentially that PC is almost 14 years old, and that's a lot of potential dust buildup, not accounting for if they smoked in the house (that turns dust into fan clogging sludge).

After you ensure that your new PC is clean and in operational standards, you should be perfectly able to install Windows 8(.1) on it.

Most likely, the issue you are having currently is software only, and not hardware, so a clean install of your Windows operating system should cure any issues that you are experiencing.

Best of luck, and report back if you have issues during the cleaning/reinstall process.

tman1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

Actually that hal.dll error is more than likely due to a corrupt boot.ini file