Can I just keep old windows os file on my hdd

williamchung2405

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
So I was wondering whether or not I am able to use an ssd as a boot drive and install windows 10 on it, while keeping my old operating system and my other files, games, apps, etc. on my hdd. I’m not too worried about space right now so that won’t really bother me.

However, I’m curious to know if there will be negative impact on performance or on my pc besides just waste of storage.

Thanks in advance. :)

Solution

The apps and programs on that drive will be unusable with the new OS on the other drive.

If that old HDD with the OS is still listed in the boot order, I've seen odd, confusing things happen.

No 'performance' issue, but useless waste of space and potentially confusing to you and the system.

williamchung2405

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017

Will it be safe to have and won’t cause any problems? As long as I choose the right one to boot from. I’ve heard that deleting the old os or reformatting is a better idea, or is that only for storage purposes?

USAFRet

Titan

The apps and programs on that drive will be unusable with the new OS on the other drive.

If that old HDD with the OS is still listed in the boot order, I've seen odd, confusing things happen.

No 'performance' issue, but useless waste of space and potentially confusing to you and the system.

Solution