Can I keep windows 10 after changing my motherboard?

babeldude

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
When I first built this computer, I bought a copy of windows 8. I upgraded to windows 10 when it came out, and now, I'm about to upgrade my computer including my motherboard. I want to keep my drive and all my data, as well as windows 10. I have a windows 8 key. If I change my motherboard and boot up, what will happen? Can I keep this windows 10 installation? I saw a solution was to downgrade to windows 8, then reupgrade to 10, but I can't do that anymore now that the promotion is over, I think.

Solution
That's an excellent argument (and I agree with you). But I still think your OS won't activate automatically. MS has said that the free Win10 upgrade gives you a "digital entitlement" for THAT computer, and their servers will likely think it's a different computer.
Nevertheless, I think you have a good case to present to MS since you had a retail license. I just think it will take a phone call and not be automatic. Good luck!

rchris

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
It's very unlikely that your OS will activate automatically after a motherboard change. You will need to call Microsoft and plead your case that this isn't a "new" computer. If your old motherboard failed, that will be a convincing argument. If you just upgraded for new features, etc., that probably won't sell.

babeldude

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

I'm fairly certain I have a retail version of windows (followed this tutorial and it said retail. So, shouldn't I have the right to transfer to another computer?

rchris

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
That's an excellent argument (and I agree with you). But I still think your OS won't activate automatically. MS has said that the free Win10 upgrade gives you a "digital entitlement" for THAT computer, and their servers will likely think it's a different computer.
Nevertheless, I think you have a good case to present to MS since you had a retail license. I just think it will take a phone call and not be automatic. Good luck!

Solution

babeldude

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

Alright, thanks for the info. It's unfortunate that it can't be automatic, but I guess I'll be ready for a phone call.

babeldude

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

It'll be a few days minimum before receiving the parts, will update on how it goes

babeldude

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

Here's an update. I had downloaded the anniversary update for windows 10, and that theoretically should have been the perfect solution. Your digital licence is now tied to your microsoft account. I booted up no problem, windows said it wasn't activated, I troubleshooted it, and there was an option that said "I have recently made hardware changes to the computer" sounds perfect right? Well, I think it should work in a while, but when I did it the servers where unavailable. So I contacted microsoft support. I provided my old windows 8.1 key and they gave me a new product key and activated it.

rchris

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014

Great... glad to hear things worked out for you.