Can I limit a LAN port to only have access to the internet but nothing else on the network?

Sep 4, 2018
I live at a campground full time and when I moved in back in April my son was doing online school so internet was a must. Unfortunately the internet was not setup but the owner threw a box of parts on my table one day and said if you can make it work, you can use it. I had my own commercial wireless router from when I owned a gun shop a few years back. It was much better than his so I only used his outdoor extender/access point.

The internet is fiber and doesn't require a modem so to speak. A cat 5 hooks up outside at the box and runs inside to my wifi router to the wan port. From there one lan goes to my desktop and another goes outside to his outdoor access point mounted to the front of my fifth wheel.

I setup the outdoor A/P with its own password. People at the park pay for access.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I just want to make sure I have it setup right so that any Joe connected won't have any access to my computer. I was going to purchase a hard firewall but thought that just protected you from outside threats, not if they already have legit access to the network. So is there any specific settings I can set in either my wifi router or the outdoor A/P that will protect my computer from access. If I need a hard firewall I can purchase one. I'm running firewall software, have my computer network set to public, and I run through a VPN. I honestly know just enough to be dangerous. I'm an amateur at best. I had a Network team that handled my gun shop network. We we're completely digital and kept Socials on our servers so security was very important to me. I guess in the end I just want the A/P to have access to the internet but nothing else. Is that possible?

One simple solution is to add a second router between the first and your PC, and enable NAT on it, then assign your PC a private network addy. Other things might be to disable guest access / wifi access to the second router, and so on. Essentially it will act as a hardware firewall (and presumably will drop all external queries if NAT is enabled).

It won't protect your PC from solicited twaddle, but it will prevent unsolicited twaddle. It might be a bit of a headache to setup at first, depending on the first router's setup (watch out for double NAT, if the first is also NAT enabled), but it's a fairly secure option, and if the second router resides near the PC, it's as secure as the PC.

Also consider disabling file and print sharing, add password access to the user accounts, with the usual password disciplines, and so on.

Sep 4, 2018
Thank you both for helping me out! It sent me in the right direction. After doing some google searches on what you both said I ended up going with a Y-Config that I found on here. I went to walmart this afternoon and bought two cheap routers and followed "the ultimate router setup guide. It took a few hours of setup but everything is working as it should. Again, Thanks!