Can I make a 4K monitor do 1440p?

H. Finner

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2014
Hi! I have been looking for monitors for in the future, and have stumbled across a perfect one, but the only 'problem' is that it's 4K when I was originally looking for 1440p. The 4K/2k monitor's resolution is 3840x2160.

My question is, if I set a game to 1440p res instead of the 4K, would that make the game look smaller with bad quality?

Here is the monitor http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00O0Z5682/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1456383910&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=XB280HK+bprz&dpPl=1&dpID=51LQpEbBK3L&ref=plSrch

Thanks!

EDIT: Another real quick question about this monitor!? People say that the bprz model IS IPS, which is what I want and other people are flat out saying it is TN, please help?

Solution
Two parts:

1) You can certainly set a game on 1440p with a 4k monitor (much like setting 720p on 1080p monitor), though from what I have seen (I own a 4k monitor myself) is that while 1440p image on a 4k doesn't took that bad (certainly better than 720p on 1080p for example), there will be significant texture shimmering in games where the details are very thing (like fault lines on a cliff at a distance), and the text may have blurred/rough edges, but in general it's rather useable.

2) aprz and bprz difference only exist in XB270HU, where there is a TN (called aprz) and an IPS model (bprz). XB280HK, as far as I know, exist only as TN, not an IPS. This was initially one of the reasons I avoided the monitor (not primarily because it's...

chenw

Honorable
Two parts:

1) You can certainly set a game on 1440p with a 4k monitor (much like setting 720p on 1080p monitor), though from what I have seen (I own a 4k monitor myself) is that while 1440p image on a 4k doesn't took that bad (certainly better than 720p on 1080p for example), there will be significant texture shimmering in games where the details are very thing (like fault lines on a cliff at a distance), and the text may have blurred/rough edges, but in general it's rather useable.

2) aprz and bprz difference only exist in XB270HU, where there is a TN (called aprz) and an IPS model (bprz). XB280HK, as far as I know, exist only as TN, not an IPS. This was initially one of the reasons I avoided the monitor (not primarily because it's TN, but because it's only 60hz). However, that was a minor issue compared to several other problems I found with 4k itself. If you are going to be relying on playing games on 1440p, I would rather get a native 1440p instead.

Solution
You can usually set any monitor to do less resolution than it's native one.
Setting 4k monitor to run 1440p is doable but it will looks a lot less attractive.
The game @1440p on 4k monitor will not look smaller, the monitor usually will do something to fit the picture to 4k (upscaling).
The issue is, upscaling factor from 1440p to 4k is not round number, thus it will look less attractive.