[SOLVED] Can I make a secondary display from my older laptop ?

PRIME12602

Prominent
Jul 4, 2019
So i bought an ASUS ROG Strix Scar 3 rtx 2060 2 years ago, it worked pretty well with my 3d rendering and games, but since i don't have any A/C the temperature's were a bit higher even after I started to clean it once every month. and just two weeks ago it died from heating issue's. According to the technician "One of the IC's in the power circuit(area whatever it was) was burned and the CPU got fried, So basically the motherboard is dead" and recommended to replace the motherboard which cost around 95,000INR(1260USD) but the whole laptop costs around 1,45,000INR(1925USD).

So, I'm thinking of buying a new one now, this time it's MSI GP66(1,55,000INR(2055USD)) or Acer Predetor Helios 300(1,25,000INR(1658USD)).
I know MSI is better but it's more Expensive too.

anyway I will buy some new laptop but I was wondering if I can use the display of my Strix( it's 144Hz IPS display) as an secondary display to my new laptop.
I saw YT video's on DIY secondary monitor's but nobody did a display from a gaming Notebook so I'm not sure yet what should I do?

Solution
Possible, but probably not while retaining the 144hz capabilities. Each of those DIY kits is for a specific LCD panel. Unless you can be sure it isn't worth it.

Sell the laptop chassis and buy a monitor. Plenty of people out there with a working motherboard but a cracked screen, broken hinge, etc.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Possible, but probably not while retaining the 144hz capabilities. Each of those DIY kits is for a specific LCD panel. Unless you can be sure it isn't worth it.

Sell the laptop chassis and buy a monitor. Plenty of people out there with a working motherboard but a cracked screen, broken hinge, etc.

Reactions: PRIME12602
Solution