[SOLVED] can I make my CPU run at regular speeds while having max processor state capped?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SmallLettuceMan

Prominent
Apr 7, 2019
When I have my max processor state capped, the speeds my system is able to run are capped too. 95% cap only lets me run at 2.09GHz, 99% cap only lets me run at 2.19GHz while my CPU is capable of turbo boosting to 4GHz.

When I uncap it, I have power limit throttling issues and a lot of CPU utilization being used with a difference thats not worth uncapping.

While playing warzone on the capped processor state I get a maximum of 65 celcius and 50-70% utilization. With no cap, I get 70-95 degrees celcius and a utilization of 70-100%, but when it hits 100, it drops utilization causing a stutter.

I have an i5 8300h
Any help would be amazing, thanks.

Solution
Should I put A pagefile on my SSD?

If i read that correctly, just have the one pf. Not a pf on the HDD at all.

I'd try clearing as much space as possible on the SSD first. Any programs or documents that can be moved to the HDD. Give the SSD space to deal with Trim and pagefile, on Windows self managed for now.

What's on the SSD exactly consuming majority of the space? I know Windows can be quite large after updates but just wondering if you can manage more space or not.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
the game is on my HDD and so is my pagefile

Not ideal to have the Pagefile on a HDD, especially 5400rpm. Wish I'd known this prior. Glad userbench hinted toward it.

There is a good chance this has played a part in the issue from the get go. The PF is accessed regularly. Being on the HDD would cause the system to hang for a split second each time Windows reads or writes to it.

Last edited:

SmallLettuceMan

Prominent
Apr 7, 2019
Not ideal to have the Pagefile on a HDD, especially 5400rpm. Wish I'd known this prior. Glad userbench hinted toward it.

There is a good chance this has played a part in the issue from the get go. The PF is accessed regularly. Being on the HDD would cause the system to hang for a split second each time Windows reads or writes to it.

so what would you recommend? Should I put A pagefile on my SSD? Maybe like 12 gigs?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Should I put A pagefile on my SSD?

I'd try clearing as much space as possible on the SSD first. Any programs or documents that can be moved to the HDD. Give the SSD space to deal with Trim and pagefile, on Windows self managed for now.

What's on the SSD exactly consuming majority of the space? I know Windows can be quite large after updates but just wondering if you can manage more space or not.

Last edited:
Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If i had your laptop and budget allowed, id replace the SSD with a larger 1~2TB model. Try get the cooling sorted out. Install 2x 8GB ram modules and reinstall Windows which isn't hard to do. Keep the HDD for general backups and photos and run performance sensitive apps from the SSD.

SmallLettuceMan

Prominent
Apr 7, 2019

the majority of the SSD is taken up by windows, but I also have a game or two on there and just some general other things like programs. I can easily clear it up.

also, for the cooling, it’s strange. As you know I decided to limit the processor, but I can play the same game at the same settings at the same FPS, on ~25°C (60-65°C compared to 85-95°C) cooler at a deficit of processor speed and lower TDP, which doesn’t seem to affect performance.

but, in general, you think it’s a memory problem? I will for sure put a pagefile on my ssd, and more than likely get new ram.

I’ve been looking into getting a bigger SSD since I got the thing. But luckily I have recently got contacts at a company that makes SSD’s so I can even possibly get one for free, if I’m lucky enough.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Just a shame you can't run the processor unchained. Nevermind. First try clear the SSD as much as possible. Put pf on it and try Cod. I have a good feeling this will have good results. Trying Warzone on the SSD would have benefits too. Any assets loading on the fly won't be restricted by the HDD's slow random access times, as well as the pf.

Last edited:

SmallLettuceMan

Prominent
Apr 7, 2019
Just a shame you can't run the processor unchained. Nevermind. First try clear the SSD as much as possible. Put pf on it and try Cod. I have a good feeling this will have good results. Trying Warzone on the SSD would have benefits too. Any assets loading on the fly won't be restricted by the HDD's slow random access times, as well as the pf.

Well! I played a round, I didn’t notice a single stutter! Now, I’ve tried many other fixes but they didn’t seem to last long, let’s hope this one stays. Within one round, at least the duration I played, I would have noticed at least 4 microstutters, at bare minimum.

I will update this when I play some more so I can confirm. Would getting better ram give me the ability to not store the pagefile on the ssd? If not, that’s fine I should probably get better ram anyways. Or, what would be a better investment if I can only choose one? An SSD or better ram?

The ram is SODIMM so it can only be used on laptops, but the SSD would let me use it on a PC in the future as well as prove gaming benefits.

i can run the game fine, and of course ram will help, but might a better SSD help more?

anyways, thank you so much for your help this far, I really appreciate it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome and glad the laptop is seeing a turnaround for the better. Good luck throughout more testing.

Regarding SSD vs ram if you had to make a choice, would def be a larger SSD. Games and pagefile performance is much better on it. Ram isn't as important now knowing pf was most likely the culprit being on the 5400 HDD, it just isn't quick enough.

SmallLettuceMan

Prominent
Apr 7, 2019
Could just replace the HDD too and leave your OS as is. Wouldn't matter where the pf is then.

would rather have a bigger ssd, for the obvious reasons. So, I’ve played a couple games at it seems you have solved my problem!

but, for my system, if you had to choose, would you get an SSD or better RAM?

I cant thank you enough, it has put me at a disadvantage for months now. You are a great person for taking the time to help me

TRENDING THREADS