Can i make phone calls on a Windows 10 computer?

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
So, a few days ago, my phone died out on me and i bought a new one. For whatever reason, It was shipped to Maine rather than my house in California. Quite the mix up. Now, i have a few elderly family members who are quite ill and i like to keep up with them on the phone. They don't use E-mail, social media or anything like that. and since the phone went to the completely opposite side of the country, i have a feeling it's gonna be a long time before i have it. So, could i just use my gaming PC for making and receiving calls? This is my only option right now because i don't have a landline phone because my phone goes through my WIFI anyway so it's just like having a landline. i have Verizon wireless as my provider, and there's a Verizon store very close to me so if need be, i can go there to get some sort of package or something. What do you guys think? Thanks! Oh, and, Sorry for the big wall of text.

Solution
As long as you have Wifi Access you can find dozens of apps that give you full VOIP. I frequently use Google Voice and work because the cell signal is horrid but the Wifi is top notch. I've used it on my Phone, Tablet, old Samsung media player, Laptop and my old Cad Pc it works on everything.

https://voice.google.com/u/0/about

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

Google voice could work if i can use it to call phones and not just other computers. Does it cost money?

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

That's a nice idea, but i'd rather not do that if i can help it because my s9 plus costed a fortune. I don't want to spend more money on a temporary phone.

lancer420

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017

Sounds like a good program. I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

sshort

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2014

I have elderly parents and the whole cell phone thing doesn't work from them. Too many options and too confusing.

Landline type phone -- it rings, you pick it up, and it works. Easy-peasy.

Tinstaafl

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

You probably should read the post again. 3 clues provided by the OP which answer your question:

1. a replacement phone was ordered which was shipped to wrong location
2. doesn't have a landline
3. current provider is Verizon WIRELESS

Tinstaafl

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

I have used Google Voice for years and it is very useful! I use Google Voice to make calls from my Android phone using my Google Voice phone number. Also to check text and voice messages from the web on my PC.

Have never attempted to use Google Voice to make a voice call from the web from the PC, but if that works, it is probably your best option. Good luck!