[SOLVED] Can I mix custom cable extensions for my computer?

Nov 14, 2019
My GPU requires two 8 pin connections to power it. Can I have one 8 Pin cable extension from ShackMods and another 8 Pin extension from EZDIY-FAB?

I'm aware that it's a big “no no” to swap power supply cables from another power supply but does that rule also apply to cable extensions?

Hope that’s enough information. I haven't made a post like this before. I'm new to the computer building world and just interested in making my computer a bit more personalised!

Thank you in advance!

Solution
As a general rule...it's not good to use cables that didn't come with your PSU (because they can be wired differently).....or even use extensions (due to voltage drop).

....but as long as you have the proper voltage at the proper terminal......and your wire gauge is large enough where you don't get significant voltage drop you will be OK. ....but you need to confirm these things....especially having the proper voltage at the proper terminal.....or you will burn your components.

USAFRet

Titan
Cable extensions are, in theory, just straight through wires.

But if you're looking for someone to say "No problem. 100% it will work. Absolutely..."
...you probably won't find that here.
The closest reliable answer is "maybe".

Why not just buy a whole set from one or the other?

As a general rule...it's not good to use cables that didn't come with your PSU (because they can be wired differently).....or even use extensions (due to voltage drop).

....but as long as you have the proper voltage at the proper terminal......and your wire gauge is large enough where you don't get significant voltage drop you will be OK. ....but you need to confirm these things....especially having the proper voltage at the proper terminal.....or you will burn your components.

Reactions: xojio
Solution
Nov 14, 2019
Cable extensions are, in theory, just straight through wires.

But if you're looking for someone to say "No problem. 100% it will work. Absolutely..."
...you probably won't find that here.
The closest reliable answer is "maybe".

Why not just buy a whole set from one or the other?

Thank you for the quick response!

Good question - The reason for the mix and match is because I have a strong idea in how I want to customise it. I want a purple and turquoise theme. finding the turquoise its self-premade seems difficult to find and I already have seen a premade purple I like. I was thinking about it from a cost-effective point of view.

I was wondering if this was something someone should definitely not do or if it was not advised in custom builds. If there are risks then I will definitely invest more money from just one supplier 😊

Nov 14, 2019

So, wouldn't a supplier who’s made these extension cables make sure that these standards are reached? How can I make sure that the thermals and the voltage are adequate for my system without damaging my components?

"So, wouldn't a supplier who’s made these extension cables make sure that these standards are reached? "
You would hope.
In general....I'm not as concerned as much about extension cables....as long as they are "one to one" (you can check this with a simple meter). By "one to one" I mean each wire goes to the "same" corresponding terminal on each end.....and they SHOULD be one to one......because they are extension cables......but I would always check.

The reason I'm not as concerned with extension cables (if you already made sure they are one to one).....is that the only other thing that could cause a problem is voltage drop.....and that would probably just cause a crash and not ruin anything.

....but the main thing that's going to ruin things instantly is if you...for instance....use a cable where the wires get switched and wind up going to the wrong terminal.

This will destroy components faster than you can blink your eye.

Reactions: xojio
Nov 14, 2019
You would hope.
In general....I'm not as concerned as much about extension cables....as long as they are "one to one" (you can check this with a simple meter). By "one to one" I mean each wire goes to the "same" corresponding terminal on each end.....and they SHOULD be one to one......because they are extension cables......but I would always check.

The reason I'm not as concerned with extension cables (if you already made sure they are one to one).....is that the only other thing that could cause a problem is voltage drop.....and that would probably just cause a crash and not ruin anything.

....but the main thing that's going to ruin things instantly is if you...for instance....use a cable where the wires get switched and wind up going to the wrong terminal.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your advice, It's really helped! I will certainly keep this all in mind when I make my purchase. I need to do a bit more research before I go extention cable crazy!

Again Thank you and have a good day!

You would hope.

Thank you for your advice, It's really helped! I will certainly keep this all in mind when I make my purchase. I need to do a bit more research before I go extention cable crazy!

Again Thank you and have a good day!
[/QUOTE]
You're welcome.