[SOLVED] Can I move my program off my OS drive?

tomseurocat

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2014
Currently I have a 250 GB Samsung 960 EVO that serves as my OS and Program drive. I have all my downloads and documents on a separate drive. I'm now running low on room and I have a couple of programs that are taking up a lot of that room. Is it safe to move those programs to another drive that has lots of room available?
Also, I know that a 250 GB OS drive is very small by today's standards. Should I just get an updated OS drive and be done with it?

Solution
For Steam, this:

Steam games location

In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

I believe Origin has a similar function, but I am not familiar with the specifics.
Currently I have a 250 GB Samsung 960 EVO that serves as my OS and Program drive. I have all my downloads and documents on a separate drive. I'm now running low on room and I have a couple of programs that are taking up a lot of that room. Is it safe to move those programs to another drive that has lots of room available?
Also, I know that a 250 GB OS drive is very small by today's standards. Should I just get an updated OS drive and be done with it?
Except for portable programs (no installation) other programs need to retain some files, settings, shortcuts and registry on C: partition so just moving them results in non working programs.
Best way is to reinstall them specifying another drive during installation. Some of their files are likely to still be placed on C:/OS drive.

Reactions: tomseurocat

USAFRet

Titan
For Steam, this:

Steam games location

In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

I believe Origin has a similar function, but I am not familiar with the specifics.

Solution