[SOLVED] Can I overclock the R7 1700 to 4GHZ?

Mar 10, 2019
So I know the non X variants aren't the best at overclocking, but I'm thinking of buying an Arctic AIO, and hoping I can get close to, or possibly reach 4.1ghz on the 1700. Is it possible with water water cooling? Here's the AIO I mentioned:

https://www.newegg.com/arctic-cooli...system/p/N82E16835186246?Item=N82E16835186246

My Specs:
Ryzen 7 1700 (OC'd to 3.6)
Asus Rog Strix F gaming motherboard
24GB Patriot Viper Elite memory sticks (two 4gb sticks, and two 8gb sticks)
Red Devil RX580 8GB
Raidmax 650watt PSU 80 plus gold

Solution
The X vatients usually are clocked so high that there's very little room go grow. The non-X vatients have a much larger range, but as said may not always get to that same ceiling.

Amazed that you got 4 sticks, and 2 different sizes at that, to work, but they are Samsung B-die, so that might explain things.

Top end on the Ryzens isn't usually relegated by the heat output, they run relatively close to the PBO settings, so you should be only hitting low 100w area. Mostly it'll be a power limit from vcore voltages and current, or a VRM Temp issue. So it's possible you could hit 4.0-4.1GHz, but that'll be dependent on the individual cpu and your mobo.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The X vatients usually are clocked so high that there's very little room go grow. The non-X vatients have a much larger range, but as said may not always get to that same ceiling.

Amazed that you got 4 sticks, and 2 different sizes at that, to work, but they are Samsung B-die, so that might explain things.

Top end on the Ryzens isn't usually relegated by the heat output, they run relatively close to the PBO settings, so you should be only hitting low 100w area. Mostly it'll be a power limit from vcore voltages and current, or a VRM Temp issue. So it's possible you could hit 4.0-4.1GHz, but that'll be dependent on the individual cpu and your mobo.

Reactions: .ponyo
Solution