[SOLVED] Can I overclock using cpu strap (bus speed) to 125

Apr 2, 2021
Hello,
I really want to overclock my system and i strongly believe the hardware is capable.

Here is my system:
Mobo: asus p9x79
CPU: i7 3820 (currently oc to 4.3 gh)
Ram: Corsair CMX16GX3M2A1600C11, 16gb 1600mh 1.5v (2x8)
Gpu: 1060 3gb
Pws: corsair cx750, the older one 80 Plus Bronze
Cooler: Corsair H80 watercooler

I have overclocked my system with the max multiplayer, this is 43.
It is completly stable at 1,25 volts. I reach 57 degrees max under load.

I now want to overclock using the cpu strap.
I want to change the cpu strap to 1.25x, making the blck 125 but leaving the host clock at 100 mhz. After that i change the Ram multiplayer to 13.33 giving a very mild 1666mhz overclock. Please let me know if anything i say here is wrong.
Everything the same as this tutorial except ram

Before doing this i wanted to ask the community if this was even save as i hear a lot of people say 105 bclk is the 'max'.
Thanks for reading and i would love to see a response :)!!

Solution
No, you can't just increase the strap (FSB) to 125MHz. You may have to go into a more advanced menu, but you should see somewhere the ability to increase above 100MHz in 1MHz increments.
However, you really need to read up on this as you could potentially damage your components. Gone are the days where we could get a fantastic 20Hz+ FSB increase. You'll be lucky to get a 3-4MHz on the bus, especially if you already maxxed out the CPU multi.
Apr 2, 2021
lol my muscle memory kicked in ig.

Would i get a black screen because of the board not keeping up? And clearing the CMOS changes back my settings? I will google a bit more thank you

jasonf2

Distinguished
When you overclock just getting the system to boot is not the same as stable. Because you are taking the silicon beyond the limit that the manufacturer has tested and defined to be 100% stable on all (most) systems without verifying two very important things have to be done. First off do not make drastic changes. It is one thing to find field verified settings from others running an OC on your rig and putting them in. It is an entirely different proposition to just think that because the settings are available that there is some magical chance that your hardware will handle it. Moderate OC results in system stability issues and having to reset the bios. Massive overclock can and will damage/destroy hardware. Read the FAQs before making changes and understand how to walk the processor in and what the base clock, multiplier and core voltage settings do. As a piece of advice if you are having to sacrifice base clock you probably are not doing your self any favors in real world throughput on your machine even though the frequency number looks like it on paper.
The second piece is verification. There are a half dozen burn in test suites out there like Prime95 , etc... When you have successfully booted with your new settings test your system with one. Just because it boots doesn't mean it is stable. This is the tedious part of OC. These tests take a while and because you have to be incremental the walk in process can take time. Each chip behaves just a little bit differently and sometimes you get lucky and get a fast one, sometimes you don't. With all of the binning going on lately the headroom left in the chip is reduced. Also as a point of advice. Don't mess with CPU and RAM concurrently. Get the CPU stable and then mess with RAM afterwards. RAM OC is the same as CPU and requires the same process.

Apr 2, 2021
Thanks for your time but have you read my question and if so what is your answer. You're telling me I have to work in small increments but how can i do this whilst working with cpu strap overclock? There does not seem to be an option between 100 and 125, making 125 the smallest increment. My question is, is it save to change this setting? I find 90% succes save.

No, you can't just increase the strap (FSB) to 125MHz. You may have to go into a more advanced menu, but you should see somewhere the ability to increase above 100MHz in 1MHz increments.
However, you really need to read up on this as you could potentially damage your components. Gone are the days where we could get a fantastic 20Hz+ FSB increase. You'll be lucky to get a 3-4MHz on the bus, especially if you already maxxed out the CPU multi.

Solution
The problem on that generation of CPU that you have is the reference clock is tied to the PCI clock (it's also tied to other clocks too). Certain devices have low tolerance for PCI overclock. Your graphics and storage in particular won't like it much. Intel management engine also can prevent booting.