Can I pair a i9-9900k with DDR3 Memory Ram with these motherboards that support both LGA 1151 and DDR3?

Socket is only one aspect of the processor. They are running unsupported chipsets that do not support 9th gen processors.
Additionally, the 9900k requires DDR4 RAM.

Those motherboards were a gimick when they were new. They offered sub par performance and a general waste of money.

Socket compatibility and chipset compatibility are two different things. The 9900K requires a 300 series chipset... and even most of those need a BIOS update. Anything from the 100 or 200 series chipsets is a complete no-go. You are going to need a 300 series and that requires DDR4 RAM.

Because the 9900K (and 8 series for that matter) only have a DDR4 memory controller. Not to mention the difference in pin layout and if you could even somehow fit the 9900K into a DDR3 motherboard (I doubt as they probably changed the size slightly) it would probably cause a fire.

At the very least you'd almost certainly kill a $500 CPU.

Yup. Had a customer once show a 2600K into a LGA 1156 board. CPU and board were fried.

Even the 8000 series Intel processors required 300 series LGA 1151 motherboards. The 9000 series are the same in that they require 300 series LGA 1151 motherboards (Z370 & Z390) for example.

DDR3 RAM hasn't been supported for several generations of Intel processors.

I wasn't positive, that's why I left it at "several". DDR4 RAM was released around 2014. And was used in the "5000" series of processors, but was more or less standardized in the 6000 series. There were a few motherboards still with the DDR3 option. But I thought they were gone by the 7000 series of processors, hence the nondescript "several" in my post.

Staidey

Prominent
May 14, 2021
Socket is only one aspect of the processor. They are running unsupported chipsets that do not support 9th gen processors.
Additionally, the 9900k requires DDR4 RAM.

Those motherboards were a gimick when they were new. They offered sub par performance and a general waste of money.
DDR3 stopped being supported from Coffee Lake, so you have no chance of using DDR3

Not true. i9 9900K has a DDR3 Memory Controller. Just because it's not mentioned in Intel Ark doesn't mean that it doesn't support it. To add, H310M DS2V DDR3 (rev. 1.0) is a LGA1151v2 Motherboard that utilizes i9 9900K’s neglected DDR3 controller. Hope this is informative enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.