Question Can I play 4k movies on my TV with my existing system?

May 31, 2023
Hi,
My desktop is HP ProDesk 400 G5 MT, has 8th generation i5 Pentium 8500 CPU @3GHz
I have a Graphics card NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 TI, I use HDMI cable to connect the desktop to the TV.

Is this enough to play 4k movies on a 4k TV?

I bought a LG 43in 4k TV and the picture is not good at all, colours are all washed out and no definition. When I play 1080p movies the colours again are very washed out and quality of image very poor. All my movies and TV series look much better on the old 1080p TV than they do in the new one

Could the problem be the graphics card is not good enough?

Would I need to change it?

I appreciate your help,

euluta

I bought a LG 43in 4k TV and the picture is not good at all, colours are all washed out and no definition. When I play 1080p movies the colours again are very washed out and quality of image very poor. All my movies and TV series look much better on the old 1080p TV than they do in the new one
Washed out colors sounds like you're trying to play HDR format movies without using software that supports HDR material. What program/software are you using to play these movies? You might try using the VLC player since that supports HDR movies.

May 31, 2023
4k movie from where?
what the cpu/gpu usage when you play the movie?
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
I have a lot of movies and TV series stored on my desktop and I want to view them on a 4K TV.
My desktop is HP ProDesk 400 G5 MT, has 8th generation i5 Pentium 8500 CPU @3GHz
I have a Graphics card NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 TI, I use HDMI cable to connect the desktop to the TV.
I saw an article on PC Gamer dated 18 February 2022 that says that for HDR I need HDMI 2.0a or later, my graphics card only has HDMI 2.0, I copied it below:
Yes, you can use any TV with HDMI inputs in place of a computer display. If you're looking at 4K TVs, you'll want a graphics card that has at least an HDMI 2.0 port (HDMI 2.0a or later for HDR10 displays). That allows for 4K at 60Hz, with 24-bit colour.
Many thanks

The GTX 1050 Ti will easily play 2160p movies. Hell, my old R9 Fury, a card that is now 8 years old, supports 4K.

Remember that playback of 2D media, even at 4K, is child's play for most cards produced in the last ten years. The reason that cards have fans is for their 3D accelerators because a card that's only used for office apps and video playback could easily get away with just being passively-cooled.

In fact, for playing 4K media, even most IGPs are enough with discrete cards being overkill.

May 31, 2023
I use VLC 3.0.18 Vetinari and MPC-HC version 1.7.13
Hi,
Thank you for your help.
If I connect a Seagate External hard drive to the USB in the back of 4K Smart TV will this work? On this Seagate external drive I have a few 4K movies. Will they show on the TV in high definition? This way I don't have to have the computer on.
Many thanks,
euluta

Hi,
Thank you for your help.
If I connect a Seagate External hard drive to the USB in the back of 4K Smart TV will this work? On this Seagate external drive I have a few 4K movies. Will they show on the TV in high definition? This way I don't have to have the computer on.
Many thanks,
euluta
This may work, but it would depend on the TV's ability to read the external drive and its file structure. Its one of those things where you won't know until you try it.