[SOLVED] Can I Play old games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
There are a large number of 32-bit games that used older 16-bit installers that also will not work (directly) in a 64-bit environment.

Technically, the games will run if you can find a way to set them up without going through the installer.

As a general rule, pcgamingwiki.com is a very good source for finding ways to get specific titles running. I've used it extensively in recent years for figuring out how to get a multitude of my old games running stable.

Aside from that, any title with a DOS executable can/should be run via DOSBOX. That generally covers most of the Win16 apps that you can't run on 64-bit versions of windows. Everything else typically works with some fiddling; if nothing else Microsoft...
Feb 6, 2020
Generally speaking, as long as the game in question doesn't do anything fancy with the Windows API, it should run fine on 10. I've had issues with some games designed for Vista though, with the most notable being Sacred 2 bringing the whole rig down if not run in compatibility mode.

How old of games can you play on windows 10?
How would I tell if a game would play ok?
Thank You
As old as it goes you can play the oldest dos games no problem using DosBox.
You would go to google with the game title and add on windows 10 at the end and see what's up,there are a lot of fixes out there some games just need a new installer because the old one only works on 16bit other games need to be patched others need a whole new engine to run the old files.

As notWD already pointed out old games are not so much of a problem as relatively recent games.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
You can play a lot of old games on DOSBox. I was just playing this, from 1989 when I was 11.

Untitled.png

There are a large number of 32-bit games that used older 16-bit installers that also will not work (directly) in a 64-bit environment.

Technically, the games will run if you can find a way to set them up without going through the installer.

As a general rule, pcgamingwiki.com is a very good source for finding ways to get specific titles running. I've used it extensively in recent years for figuring out how to get a multitude of my old games running stable.

Aside from that, any title with a DOS executable can/should be run via DOSBOX. That generally covers most of the Win16 apps that you can't run on 64-bit versions of windows. Everything else typically works with some fiddling; if nothing else Microsoft is good about keeping their legacy APIs stable.

Worst case, you can spin up a VM for either Win98SE or WinME to get those legacy titles running.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.