Can i plug CPU fan in a SYS_FAN ?

Aug 13, 2018
hi everyone , i have a z270 msi sli plus mobo that has only 1 4pin cpu header , and has several sys_fan headers 4 pin , i have a noctua d-15 cpu cooler with only 1 fan , i want to upgrade my cpu cooler by adding another fan, suddenly i couldn't findanother cpu_fan 2 header in the mobo, and after some search people said use splitter Y or a hub. but i dont want to use any of them , can i just plug the other cpu fan in any sys_fan headers in the mobo and work ?

Lutfij

Titan
You'd benefit from using a Fan splitter or a hub since it'd entail that both fans on your cooler are at the same RPM. I'd say not to connect it to a SYS_Fan header due to the mismatch. We're also not sure of your board's exact model and if your BIOS supports binding a particular fan header to another fan header so it's in tandem.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

Technically you can. However if you don't have a fan plugged into the CPU header you will get an error upon POST, it can be turned off in the BIOS, I would run both fans off the system fan headers to keep them at the same RPM and just turn off the error in the BIOS. It shouldn't be an issue however the fans on the cooler may not spin up fully if the CPU is overheating so I wouldn't overclock unless you get a Y splitter and run both fans from the CPU fan header.

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

It depends on the splitter you use, if you get a Molex to fan splitter that would need to be plugged into the PSU, bur I believe there are splitters to plug 2 fans into 1 header which is what you'll want to use. Try and find a splitter that adapters the CPU header to 2 of the headers you'll need for the fans. Someone like Coolermaster might have them.

Aug 13, 2018

is it safe ? i heard others say that you are using more power on one header and might damage it

Aug 13, 2018

But my noctoa fan is 4-pin and the other one im buying is also 4-pin !! can i use them on the PWM Fan Splitter Cable By Noctua (NA-SYC1) ?