[SOLVED] Can i plug my router into a phone line in another house?

Mar 19, 2020
I have moved house and it's going to take two weeks till my internet goes live, but internet from past occupant (mother) is still live. Can I reconfigure my new modem to pick up internet still coming into the property, and how? The internet are both with the same provider.

Solution
Maybe if you are lucky. DSL type lines tend to be less restricted since the phone company must make a physical connection. Cable tv type connection are locked by the modem mac address.

It all depends I guess if the ISP uses any form of authentication. Some have userid/account numbers and passwords that are configured in the router.

borris618

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
it should be no problem.
the easiest option would be to do a factory reset of the modem/router and just plug it in at your new place.
if you have not done any configuration in your modem/router it should even work as is.

Maybe if you are lucky. DSL type lines tend to be less restricted since the phone company must make a physical connection. Cable tv type connection are locked by the modem mac address.

It all depends I guess if the ISP uses any form of authentication. Some have userid/account numbers and passwords that are configured in the router.

Solution