[SOLVED] Can I power a gtx 1650 super without changing psu?

js.27

Prominent
Jan 26, 2019
I have a Dell T1700 with a psu rated for 290w wich has a 8 pin and 4 pin only , both connect to the motherboard and from the motherboard theres a 6 pin (wihtout 1 pin) to 4 sata, heres an image.

Previously I had a gtx 1050 ti, wich run fine and I was even able to overclock it, so I thought since 1650 super uses only 25w more, I could use a 2 sata to 6 pin adapter with no issues, but found out that the card may not push 75w from the motherboard, and that got me worried.
The card is the kfa2 with this board, I dont know if it is possible to know just from looking at it, if it will push 75w from the motherboard or not, but if someone know pls tell me.

So will that adapter work or is there a better way without buying a new psu?

Solution
most of the time the card is designed to pull more power from the psu than the motherboard. it helps protect the board from too much power draw. so that theory is pretty flawed.

the problem with adapters is they do not create power. they simply change one connection type to another. such a low powered psu is not designed to give the power you'd be asking of it from the whole system. it does not matter if it's the card, mobo or other parts asking for the power. if the psu can't give it, then it can't give it!!

you can daisy chain adapters all day but it does not raise how much power the psu can handle putting out for the system. these adapters give a false sense of security by making you think since it is a different part using the...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
adapters are never a good idea.

your options are

get a new psu that will power the card

or

buy a card that does not need extra power which the psu can handle.

there are plenty of 1650 cards that do not need extra power. the super does not bring that much more to the card to risk a psu failure!! when they go, they tend to take parts of the pc with it and that's just not worth the risk

js.27

Prominent
Jan 26, 2019
I understand that adpaters are bad, but if the card pulled 75w from the motherboard, that would be only 25w from the adpater, and I will even undervolt and underclock the card if possible.
Nevertheless Im probably going to buy a new psu.
Thank you guys

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
most of the time the card is designed to pull more power from the psu than the motherboard. it helps protect the board from too much power draw. so that theory is pretty flawed.

the problem with adapters is they do not create power. they simply change one connection type to another. such a low powered psu is not designed to give the power you'd be asking of it from the whole system. it does not matter if it's the card, mobo or other parts asking for the power. if the psu can't give it, then it can't give it!!

you can daisy chain adapters all day but it does not raise how much power the psu can handle putting out for the system. these adapters give a false sense of security by making you think since it is a different part using the power, all of a sudden the psu will create it differently.

Reactions: King_V
Solution

TRENDING THREADS