[SOLVED] Can I power the rgb of my fans through the hub while they are individually connected to motherboard

Feb 1, 2023
Kinda newbie here so forgive my ignorant terminology.
I recently got a new case but the hub seems to be faulty (a known issue) and runs the fans at full rpm but the rgb works fine. Can I connect the rgb cables on the fans to the hub to power the lights while connecting the pwm cable on the fans to my motherboard to control the rpm? my motherboard doesn't have any rgb headers on it.

Might be a silly question as I know the hub itself connects into one of the fan ports on the motherboard to control the rpm anyway but I didn't know if connecting them separately, simultaneously, would do something funky and thought it better to ask.

Thanks in advance.

hardware:
P8z77-v
Montech sky two case
Montech ax120 pwm fans
not sure of the hub name but it came with the case

Solution
Yes, there is no reason you can't do that. In fact, it's exactly what you HAVE to do when adding an RGB controller to a system with a board that doesn't have any RGB, although you don't see that very often anymore. RGB and PWM are completely separate circuits.
Yes, there is no reason you can't do that. In fact, it's exactly what you HAVE to do when adding an RGB controller to a system with a board that doesn't have any RGB, although you don't see that very often anymore. RGB and PWM are completely separate circuits.

Reactions: Oli000
Solution
Feb 1, 2023
Sweet, I assumed as much but still thought to ask :p thanks for the quick response, its much appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS