Can i program specific keys on my keyboard to do specific things?

GrannySmith1

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02106661&lang=en&cc=hr&taskId=135&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=4162194&prodTypeId=12454

Thats my current keyboard that I'm using. Is it possible to go in and program certain keys to do certain things instead of what it's meant for?

For example, I play PC games on steam. I use a turtle beach headset to talk to my friends in steam party chat or skype. I want to make two keys that will raise and lower the voice receive volume and two more keys that raise and lower my voice transmission volume.

Basically, I'd like to program 4 keys that will do this specific task. Could I prehaps use the number pad keys and make them do this specific assignment only while i'm playing PC games and using steam chat?

If its not possible on that keyboard what about this one?: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-arctosa

How can i do this? Thank you in advance!

@op

what you first need to tell us is if steam party chat or skype have keyboard key shortcuts for doing the commands you want.

if they do have commands then it is possible to do this rather simply. you can download and run a program called autohotkey and create macros for the arrow keys corresponding to the particular key combination the shortcut keys in skype or steam party chat uses.

for instance if steam uses alt+shift+z for raise volume you could make the up arrow in autohotkey macro that combination. autohotkey even has a nice on/off key combination for disabling the program from within the game.

if the programs do not have a shortcut command then short of creating your own script or program then no.

GrannySmith1

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

I can't find a shortcut key that goes into steam settings and clicks on the voice recieve volume. I need to click on steam settings then voice menu and then use tab until it goes to voice settings.

USAFRet

Titan

There may not be a preset shortcut to do exactly what you need. But that is what AutoHotKey is all about. Giving you the potential to build a macro to do exactly what you need.

TRENDING THREADS