[SOLVED] Can i put and use extreme RAM memory in a gaming laptop?

Oct 18, 2019
Hi guys, i am using asus rog strix scar 2 (rtx 2070 MAX-P, i7 8750H and 2666mhz DDR4 dual channel ram (2x8) - have no clue which company) and to be honest i am "struggling" with FPS in games such as PUBG (Average FPS is 100-110)

I watched a lot of videos on DESKTOPS that guys compared FPS using diffirent ram speeds and everything above 3000+mhz is giving rly HUGE improvments. So my question is how can i know if my laptop's motherboard can support those crazy speeds as well as XMP profiles (is it even possible in a laptop today because i see that there are a lot of manufacturers producing extreme RAM memories for "laptops" with "XMP ready for intel/amd" and "autoOC"

One of the example is HYPER X Impact - https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/memory/impact-ddr4

And one more question, do you think if it will work somehow that i will be able to achive at least 130-140 fps on average from current 100-110 on average...???

Thanks forward for your help!

Solution
Hi guys, i am using asus rog strix scar 2 (rtx 2070 MAX-P, i7 8750H and 2666mhz DDR4 dual channel ram (2x8) - have no clue which company) and to be honest i am "struggling" with FPS in games such as PUBG (Average FPS is 100-110)

I watched a lot of videos on DESKTOPS that guys compared FPS using diffirent ram speeds and everything above 3000+mhz is giving rly HUGE improvments. So my question is how can i know if my laptop's motherboard can support those crazy speeds as well as XMP profiles (is it even possible in a laptop today because i see that there are a lot of manufacturers producing extreme RAM memories for "laptops" with "XMP ready for intel/amd" and "autoOC"

One of the example is HYPER X Impact -...

One of the example is HYPER X Impact - https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/memory/impact-ddr4

And one more question, do you think if it will work somehow that i will be able to achive at least 130-140 fps on average from current 100-110 on average...???

Thanks forward for your help!
XMP profile is written in control chip of particular RAM and is to advise BIOS to set RAM to particular settings for best performance. BIOS has to have same capability. To know if and which XMP stage a BIOS supports look in the manual or in the BIOS itself.
Looks like it supports 2666MHz RAM and you'll never get any RAM running faster than that.

Solution
Oct 18, 2019
XMP profile is written in control chip of particular RAM and is to advise BIOS to set RAM to particular settings for best performance. BIOS has to have same capability. To know if and which XMP stage a BIOS supports look in the manual or in the BIOS itself.
Looks like it supports 2666MHz RAM and you'll never get any RAM running faster than that.

Thank you very much for the answer man... So its like 2666mhz thats it... no matter which brand 2666mhz? I will have same performance for example if i buy corsair 2666mhz/hyper x 2666mhz or samsung's 2666mhz? i cant get any gains more from my RAM right?

Thank you very much for the answer man... So its like 2666mhz thats it... no matter which brand 2666mhz? I will have same performance for example if i buy corsair 2666mhz/hyper x 2666mhz or samsung's 2666mhz? i cant get any gains more from my RAM right?
That's right, brand doesn't matter, you are limited by BIOS.
More RAM helps only if you are habitually running out of free RAM.

Oct 18, 2019
Most of notebook's have BIOS ripped from both RAM manual and XMP settings... maybe would be possible to "hack" BIOS to unlock/activate XMP but this isn't easy and probably will not work in most hardwares. I assume that I can call myself "lucky" as I was able to do that in my DELL XPS - View: https://i.imgur.com/HOOlP8P.png

Ufff sorry for replying that late to be honest i didnt see the message somehow...

Did u get any improvment with that speed bump to 3000mhz??
Mine runs at stock speed of 2666mhz and i watched some videos on youtube that guys have 3000+ mhz ram and have rly nice performance gains (in some games fps is going up by crazy 15-20% just cuz of ram