Question Can I put files on a boot drive?

xd sms

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
My PC Im getting will have a 240gb ssd boot drive and a 2tb hard drive and I dont have much to download and want to know if a boot drive is specifically a boot drive. Was just thinking about it

You can use the boot drive for anything you want, assuming you have the space on it.
Your SSD should have windows and all your programs installed, what you do with the rest of the space is up to you. Just be sure to not pass 80%.

SSDs are great to keep games on for load times, or extremely commonly used files that require fast load times.
Generally though, files/pictures are best on an HDD simply because SSD speeds arent needed.

xd sms

Reputable
Jul 29, 2019
You can use the boot drive for anything you want, assuming you have the space on it.
Your SSD should have windows and all your programs installed, what you do with the rest of the space is up to you. Just be sure to not pass 80%.

SSDs are great to keep games on for load times, or extremely commonly used files that require fast load times.
Generally though, files/pictures are best on an HDD simply because SSD speeds arent needed.
OK thanks just saw a video of someone who had 2 drives and didnt use the ssd and it got me thinking

Thats basically how my system is, simply because my SSD is so small.
Pictures, videos, files, and games all load plenty fast off my HDD, if I had the money for an all SSD system, I would.
But programs and the OS? Absolutely have to be on the SSD.

You will fill up the SSD pretty quickly if you are a gamer with apps.

Regardless of SSD or HD, I pontificate OS+Apps on C: and Data on D: This allows u to easily do image backup of C: which can be restored very quickly and accurately for any reasons including BSOD, virus, user-oops I messed up my registry etc. and D: data then can be backed up separately.

A methodical series of image backups and you will NEVER have to do a lengthy re-install OS from scratch.

Last edited:
I have only a few games, and already I find even my 500 GB SSD already approaching 2/3rd full...

On the positive side, there are a few well known conventional 4 TB internal spinning drives for sale for ~$120 or less these days for bulk storage needs...