Can i put the case fan into the cpu fan slot and vice versa?

Glacear

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
So my cpu fan whenever i start my pc stops working after less then a second it tries to start but then stops.. so i switched them, i placed the case fan into the cpu fan slot and vice versa is there any problem with that?

Solution
That is not a good idea at all.

The fan plugged into the CPU_FAN header is governed by a temperature sensor inside the CPU chip, so THAT fan ONLY is trying to make sure the CPU internal temperature is OK. BUT what you've done is get the CPU temperature to control the case ventilation. Meanwhile, the actual CPU cooling fan is now under the control of a different sensor in the middle of the motherboard. That's wrong!

The real problem needs to be solved. It appears your CPU_FAN header's automatic control system is sending out signals to its fan that try to run it so slow that the fan actually stalls. That VERY likely means you need to adjust the way the CPU_FAN header is configured. BUT before you do that, tell us something else. Have...

urbancamper

Distinguished
You can do that. Generally though there are 2 different types of fans for computers. High air flow, which are used for case fans, and high static pressure fans that are used to move air through heatsinks.

What you are using is fine for now, but you might want to find a high pressure static fan.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That is not a good idea at all.

The fan plugged into the CPU_FAN header is governed by a temperature sensor inside the CPU chip, so THAT fan ONLY is trying to make sure the CPU internal temperature is OK. BUT what you've done is get the CPU temperature to control the case ventilation. Meanwhile, the actual CPU cooling fan is now under the control of a different sensor in the middle of the motherboard. That's wrong!

The real problem needs to be solved. It appears your CPU_FAN header's automatic control system is sending out signals to its fan that try to run it so slow that the fan actually stalls. That VERY likely means you need to adjust the way the CPU_FAN header is configured. BUT before you do that, tell us something else. Have you added into the wires for that CPU cooling fan a little thing called a "Low Noise Adapter"? THAT can be a real problem if you did. If not, OK, we'll proceed.

Post back here the exact maker and model number of the CPU cooling fan. If it was the one that came with the CPU chip, tell us that. Then also post here the exact maker and model number of your mobo. With those things we can look up your system and advise precisely what to do.

Solution