[SOLVED] Can I put two Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) kits into a Crosshair Hero VI?

Playbahnosh

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Hi!

I've built a Ryzen 7 rig with a Crosshair Hero VI and Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) RAM. (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R )
But lately, I need to run a couple of virtual machines for work and the 16GB RAM is just not enough anymore.

Question:
Can I just buy another of the same 2x8GB kit, throw it in there and be done with it? Are there any issues with this? I had a pretty hard time getting this system to POST when I first built it, the timings were all over the place, so that's why I'm asking if there should be issues with adding another 2x8GB kit of the same?

Thanks!

Solution
You were looking at the wrong QVL, friend. Here's the QVL for the Crosshair VI Hero, and my kit is right there, I did extensive checking before I built this system because I heard it's very finicky about RAM and I needed a Samsung B-die for the 3200 speeds. It was still an hour of fiddling with the timings before it even POSTed, but it's been running fine at max clock for 3 years and counting without any issues at all.

The question is, if I pop another pair of there same in there, would it be good? Does anyone has experience with this?
Ah, okay different board model -- but look at the QVL you linked. Look under two DIMM and 4 DIMM. Only two DIMM is marked, and according to the notes at the bottom of the pages:

4 DIMM...

RealBeast

Titan
Hi!

I've built a Ryzen 7 rig with a Crosshair Hero VI and Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) RAM. (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R )
But lately, I need to run a couple of virtual machines for work and the 16GB RAM is just not enough anymore.

Question:
Can I just buy another of the same 2x8GB kit, throw it in there and be done with it? Are there any issues with this? I had a pretty hard time getting this system to POST when I first built it, the timings were all over the place, so that's why I'm asking if there should be issues with adding another 2x8GB kit of the same?

Thanks!
I would expect not. First in any case dropping in an extra pair with a Ryzen is a tricky proposition. More importantly, your memory model is not listed in the QVL for the board.

I see two options, (1) buy a new set of 4 matched sticks that are in the QVL to work as a set and sell your old memory on EBay or in the Classified thread, or (2) contact Corsair support for guidance -- if they give you a definitive answer by email save it so they stand behind the advice.

Playbahnosh

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I would expect not. First in any case dropping in an extra pair with a Ryzen is a tricky proposition. More importantly, your memory model is not listed in the QVL for the board.

I see two options, (1) buy a new set of 4 matched sticks that are in the QVL to work as a set and sell your old memory on EBay or in the Classified thread, or (2) contact Corsair support for guidance -- if they give you a definitive answer by email save it so they stand behind the advice.
You were looking at the wrong QVL, friend. Here's the QVL for the Crosshair VI Hero, and my kit is right there, I did extensive checking before I built this system because I heard it's very finicky about RAM and I needed a Samsung B-die for the 3200 speeds. It was still an hour of fiddling with the timings before it even POSTed, but it's been running fine at max clock for 3 years and counting without any issues at all.

The question is, if I pop another pair of there same in there, would it be good? Does anyone has experience with this?

RealBeast

Titan

Ah, okay different board model -- but look at the QVL you linked. Look under two DIMM and 4 DIMM. Only two DIMM is marked, and according to the notes at the bottom of the pages:

4 DIMM Slots
• 1 DIMM: Supports one module inserted in any slot as Single-channel memory configuration
• 2 DIMM: Supports one pair of modules inserted into eithor the gray slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration
• 4 DIMM: Supports 4 modules inserted into both the gray and black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration

Last edited:
Solution