[SOLVED] Can i really play high end games on my hp pavilion 15 with and ryzen 5 2500u and vega 8 GPU?

Jul 16, 2019
Hey guys, so yesterday I brought a hp pavilion 15 which has Ryzen 2500u with Vega 8 IGPU. I brought this laptop to start with learning coding since it gives me a good SSD at a reasonable price. But while checking through some threads online today , i came to know that the GPU is capable of running of running mid and some high end games like fortnite at a decent FPS. I own a desktop for gaming nut if I can play it in my laptop as well, why not then? Following are the specs I have
Ram- 8 GB DDR4
CPU- AMD Ryzen 5 2500u
GPU- AMD Radeon Vega 8
Refresh rate- 60 Hz
Total graphics memory available- 4585 MB
VRAM- 1024 MB
Another thing I would be looking to know is, if it can how is it able to run games like fortine? (Sorry to the few who thinks this to be a newbie question but I don't really understand it because fortmnite shouldn't run with a VRAM lower than 2 GB)
Thank you for filling me in when you do! And have good day.

Solution
Yeah, this type of laptop is competent at eSports games, but high-end gaming is simply too much for it. Ryzen's Vega graphics are excellent for integrated graphics, but they're still integrated graphics. Fortnite may be decently playable at low settings -- may -- but I'd be surprised if the performance was particularly compelling.

Laptops that can really handle high-end games are significantly more expensive (and hotter and less portable and tend to have shorter lives). They tend to start in the $700-$800 range and have discrete graphics. If you're gaming, I wouldn't recommend a laptop with a GPU weaker than a 1050.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with your laptop; it's excellently equipped to do what it claims to be...

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, this type of laptop is competent at eSports games, but high-end gaming is simply too much for it. Ryzen's Vega graphics are excellent for integrated graphics, but they're still integrated graphics. Fortnite may be decently playable at low settings -- may -- but I'd be surprised if the performance was particularly compelling.

Laptops that can really handle high-end games are significantly more expensive (and hotter and less portable and tend to have shorter lives). They tend to start in the $700-$800 range and have discrete graphics. If you're gaming, I wouldn't recommend a laptop with a GPU weaker than a 1050.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with your laptop; it's excellently equipped to do what it claims to be able to do. The laptop I use the most is the one without the GPU. My laptop with the GTX 1070 can play high-end games, but it's hot and heavy and has a relatively short battery life.

Reactions: snipextt
Solution
Jul 16, 2019
From what I'm seeing.....which is this>>>
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+Vega+8&id=3895

It's showing that those graphics are pretty slow compared to modern GPUs.

The Vega 8 gets a score of 1735

Even the GT 1030 beats it.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+1030&id=3757

I'm thinking you can play games....but I think high end games at decent fps might be tough.

I actually followed this thread...… https://www.windowscentral.com/can-you-use-amd-ryzen-5-2500u-gaming
My mistake for not metioning it with the question but can you take a look?

DSzymborski

Titan
I actually followed this thread...… https://www.windowscentral.com/can-you-use-amd-ryzen-5-2500u-gaming
My mistake for not metioning it with the question but can you take a look?

Nothing contradictory here. The header itself states "you can use it to play some older and lighter games fairly easily." And the link to Fortnite performance at lowest settings show it falling below 40 fps and occasionally below 30 fps when the screen is busy. And he didn't even get into a full firefight; I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop below 20 at times in those.

But really, why speculate? You already have the laptop now. Fortnite is free-to-play. You can test out for yourself if it provides you a playable experience. It wouldn't be playable for me, but you're not me.

Jul 16, 2019
Nothing contradictory here. The header itself states "you can use it to play some older and lighter games fairly easily." And the link to Fortnite performance at lowest settings show it falling below 40 fps and occasionally below 30 fps when the screen is busy. And he didn't even get into a full firefight; I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop below 20 at times in those.

But really, why speculate? You already have the laptop now. Fortnite is free-to-play. You can test out for yourself if it provides you a playable experience. It wouldn't be playable for me, but you're not me.

Yeah well ima do that for sure and thanks for replying so quick. Actually I was more interested in last part of my question about how can it still run those games(not really talking about high end games but games which still needs more specs),if you can fill me in please.

Yeah, Vega 8 is only in the vicinity of a GT 1030 in terms of performance, which isn't exactly "great" for gaming, but it is far more capable than Intel's current integrated graphics options. Less-demanding games like Fortnite could likely run reasonably well on it, so long as you keep the settings and render resolution turned down. Vega 8 is more 720p hardware than anything.