Can I remove a COM1 port from an ASUS microATX mobo?

guitarcade

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015
A friend gave me her old ASUS M4A785T-M mobo with an AMD cpu and I got a Rosewill Line-M mini tower for it. It would fit perfectly into the case except this COM1 port in one corner is bumping against the case's metal drive slots. I don't think I'll have any need for this COM1 port. I want to get this build put together today and not have to wait for another case. Would it be OK if I just snipped the top plastic part of the port off to allow the mobo to slip in place or would that be a bad idea? Thanks.

Solution
There is no COM 1 (serial port on this motherboard (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A785TM/gallery/). I think you are asking about removing the VGA port.

It seems you I/O plate on the case doesn't match the one that came with the motherboard. You need to proper I/O plate (the aluminum plate that installs in the back of the case).

Trying to remove anything from the motherboard will likely damage it beyond repair.

Just ask your friend for the plate that came with the motherboard.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There is no COM 1 (serial port on this motherboard (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M4A785TM/gallery/). I think you are asking about removing the VGA port.

It seems you I/O plate on the case doesn't match the one that came with the motherboard. You need to proper I/O plate (the aluminum plate that installs in the back of the case).

Trying to remove anything from the motherboard will likely damage it beyond repair.

Just ask your friend for the plate that came with the motherboard.

Solution

guitarcade

Reputable
Jun 7, 2015
I'm referring to the the connector in the lower right hand corner (in the pic you linked to) that has "COM1" printed next to it. I know I said port but I probably should have said connector to clarify that it's not part of the the exterior I/O ports.

Anyhow, I went ahead and cut back the plastic shield of the connector and covered the pins with electrical tape to prevent any electricity transferring to the mobo through the exposed pins. It's the only way the mobo will fit into the case's mobo space. I suppose I will find out if that was a bad idea soon enough. This is an older mobo that my friend gave away for free, so if all else fails I'll just shell out for a new one.