Question Can I repair a dead motherboard?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eloh!

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Hello all!

I am new to this forum, and I wanted to reach out for a quick question,

I have intentionally purchased a dead ASUS Strix B250i motherboard with hopes to fix it to save some money and learn a little more about electronics and such. After performing all the troubleshooting methods I could imagine, I believe the issue involves the motherboard’s ability to deliver power to the CPU. The motherboard’s power indicator turns on, fans spin up, and integrated light strip works, but the issue is the CPU light is constantly on, hindering the system’s ability to POST. The motherboard will turn on for around 6-10 seconds, power off for a moment, and will repeat this process until I remove power from the board. I know all the components I have installed work properly, and my troubleshooting methods are listed below:

• Removed memory, one stick in each DIMM slot, tried a separate kit, nothing.
• Reseated CPU and tried different coolers in case it was a mounting pressure issue, still nothing.
• Removed and reset CMOS, still no POST.
• Used a separate power supply, the issue persists. I know these units work because I tested both on a separate board while troubleshooting my current one.
• I am using integrated graphics, so I don’t have any discrete GPU to reseat, remove, etc.
• I have not tested a separate CPU because I don’t have any compatible ones laying around, but I am using an i3-7100 and last time I checked, the CPU worked just fine.
• The socket looks good, with no bent pins or inflicted damage.

Would anyone have any other methods of troubleshooting or ideas for narrowing in on the actual issue? My current thoughts involve an issue with the MOSFETs and 8-pin EPS connector, but I can’t think of any ways to properly test and diagnose this. I am fine with soldering if needed, and I do have a multimeter laying around that could come in handy, but I only know the extreme basics in using it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Do you think I would be better off simply melting the solder and placing the IC into the SOP8 socket for flashing? Just a quick question before I continued.

Like I mentioned earlier, it has great potential to make things much more complicated.

Just did that yesterday, my soldering station is at work and the card was handy at home. I would not recommend for people who never did this as they rip the pads off the board on their first try :-D

You can use these in your case, but let's finish the test first, maybe you will get it to touch properly :-D
You are going to check if the wires are actually touching the pins properly through the clip.

Are there 2 small resistors near the bios chip in that picture or are my eyes lying (bad eyesight), those 2 are at "danger zone" if you try to desolder with soldering iron.
Those two? Should not be in the way, but the header itself is... and even if he does take it off, it has to come back on too... Better pay 10$ and wait a few days, and that only in case the clip will not touch properly.

Last edited:

eloh!

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
let's finish the test first, maybe you will get it to touch properly :-D
You are going to check if the wires are actually touching the pins properly through the clip.
Sounds good! I will test the contact of the pins first. Would you like me to purchase those jumper wires to test it?

Again, thank you guys for the help so far! :)

Sounds good! I will test the contact of the pins first. Would you like me to purchase those jumper wires to test it?

Again, thank you guys for the help so far! :)
You can if you want (to avoid using the clip and soldering). If you do - look for cheaper ones, you only need 8 not 40 :)

P.S Watch your budget - it is not necessarily a bad BIOS and you will quickly out-climb the price of this board while buying tools... lol

eloh!

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
You can if you want (to avoid using the clip and soldering). If you do - look for cheaper ones, you only need 8 not 40 :)

P.S Watch your budget - it is not necessarily a bad BIOS and you will quickly out-climb the price of this board while buying tools... lol
Sounds good! I will get those soon.
If I do buy these, would the plan now be to place the female side of the cable onto the motherboard's header and the male end into the corresponding holes on the flasher, and proceed the flashing job from there?
From OP: " I have intentionally purchased a dead ASUS Strix B250i motherboard "
Yes! I just wanted to experiment and learn as much as possible through attempting to fix this, and I am very thankful for the information you guys have presented to me so far! Whether or not it works out, I am happy with the outcome. :)

Reactions: vov4ik_il

eloh!

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
You are exactly right! :)
Awesome! I will likely order them tonight.
One quick question that may be looking too far ahead, but say the BIOS chip does not communicate at all. If we cannot remove the BIOS IC due to the two resistors located next to the IC previously noted that may be impacted by applying heat, what would be the next method to try? I likely am looking way too far ahead, I was just a little curious about what methods could be left to attempt.

Last edited:

eloh!

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
I have been looking around for different jumper cables and the one you sent was expected to arrive around May, which I do not really want to wait that long haha. I did find this, and I wanted to double-check if you think this would be a good set:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GD2BWPY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3S1JN3RP90N86&th=1
I know 120 is extremely overkill, but the price and shipping date (April 24) was the most desirable for me.

eloh!

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Hey guys,

the jumper cables arrived today and I just realized that the plastic connectors on the wires are too big to fit collectively on the motherboard's header, so I am playing around with some possible solutions to make everything fit correctly, so I will return if I come up with something.

I will hopefully talk to you guys soon!

Reactions: vov4ik_il

eloh!

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Hello! :)

Alright, my solution was to remove the plastic connectors and wrap the exposed ends in heatshrink.
I then attached everything onto the corresponding pins of the motherboard's header and verified that no other pins were receiving contact if they weren't supposed to.
Using a multimeter, I verified that a connection was made among all of the pins and wires, and then I placed the wires into the corresponding sockets in the flasher. I had also made sure I was in SPI mode (i think that's what its called).
I opened the writing software and followed the previously listed steps, and the same issue I posted previously appeared. Could this be due to a setting of mine being wrong that I don't know about? Or would the BIOS chip be completely dead?
Also, could there be a different software that I could use to flash? Or is this the only one compatible with my kit?

Last edited:

eloh!

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Hello! :)

Alright, my solution was to remove the plastic connectors and wrap the exposed ends in heatshrink.
I then attached everything onto the corresponding pins of the motherboard's header and verified that no other pins were receiving contact if they weren't supposed to.
Using a multimeter, I verified that a connection was made among all of the pins and wires, and then I placed the wires into the corresponding sockets in the flasher. I had also made sure I was in SPI mode (i think that's what its called).
I opened the writing software and followed the previously listed steps, and the same issue I posted previously appeared. Could this be due to a setting of mine being wrong that I don't know about? Or would the BIOS chip be completely dead?
Also, could there be a different software that I could use to flash? Or is this the only one compatible with my kit?
WAIT SCRATCH THAT, its working now I believe!! I just took apart the flasher and plugged it all together again and it started working! :D

Hi,

There are loads of software but I only tested the one I posted, it should do fine, check your cabling first.

Edit: Just got your last post :-D

eloh!

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Hi,

There are loads of software but I only tested the one I posted, it should do fine, check your cabling first.

Edit: Just got your last post :-D
I'm pretty excited now, however when I clicked the Find IC option, it displayed these three choices: View: https://imgur.com/cz85A5r

Would it matter which one I select? Also, when choosing the correct one, do I just double click it and X out of the window? It didn't seem to do anything the first time.