[SOLVED] Can I repair my Laptop's water damaged GPU

xdjmsp

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
My HP laptop's Nvidia 940M GPU is smoked after water spilled. Is it possible to reflow it. I asked to local repair shop, they said it may result in dead laptop :(

Solution
They are right, you probably didn't lose connection to the GPU because of the water damage, but shorted something out. Reflowing things is likely to break more things than it might fix.

If the computer hasn't been stripped down and cleaned, that would be about as much as I would do to attempt a fix without some serious electronics knowledge and diagnostic tools. Even then, not really worth it for an inexpensive model. Time and labor on such an endeavor would cost more than the computer.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
They are right, you probably didn't lose connection to the GPU because of the water damage, but shorted something out. Reflowing things is likely to break more things than it might fix.

If the computer hasn't been stripped down and cleaned, that would be about as much as I would do to attempt a fix without some serious electronics knowledge and diagnostic tools. Even then, not really worth it for an inexpensive model. Time and labor on such an endeavor would cost more than the computer.

Solution