Question Can I replace a 4 GB dual channel DDR3L( SODIMM Slot), 1600Mhz RAM with a 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 SODIMM which is internally accessible?

Oct 18, 2020
From what I learnt with my research on the internet, the issues with the above replacement could be different voltages & physical limitations due to slot size as there is an additional "L" present in the name.

Also the 8 GB ram which I would be using as an upgrade is from 2012, so is it recommended that I use 8 year old RAM? I'm also adding 500 GB WD Blue SSD as primary storage ( & for booting as well)to the same laptop to which I'm adding this 8 RAM.
Main purpose will be normal-moderate office work usage, not for gaming/photoshop/matlab etc

Thank You.

The "L" means low voltage.

DDR3L can be used in systems that originally were intended for use with normal DDR3. DDR3 CANNOT be used in systems which were intended for use with DDR3L. DDR3 REQUIRES 1.5v to operate correctly. Systems which are intended for use with DDR3L will not supply the DDR3 module, whether a desktop DIMM or SODIMM used in a laptop, with the 1.5v it needs.

DDR3L can be used in DDR3L and DDR3 systems.

DDR3 can ONLY be used in DDR3 systems.

So no, that memory will not work if your system was intended for use with DDR3L originally. If the DDR3L that was installed in it was installed LATER down the road, then it might have been intended for regular DDR3. We would need to know the model of the laptop or motherboard to determine that.

Reactions: Hitmo and SamirD
Oct 18, 2020
The "L" means low voltage.

DDR3L can be used in systems that originally were intended for use with normal DDR3. DDR3 CANNOT be used in systems which were intended for use with DDR3L. DDR3 REQUIRES 1.5v to operate correctly. Systems which are intended for use with DDR3L will not supply the DDR3 module, whether a desktop DIMM or SODIMM used in a laptop, with the 1.5v it needs.

DDR3L can be used in DDR3L and DDR3 systems.

DDR3 can ONLY be used in DDR3 systems.

So no, that memory will not work if your system was intended for use with DDR3L originally. If the DDR3L that was installed in it was installed LATER down the road, then it might have been intended for regular DDR3. We would need to know the model of the laptop or motherboard to determine that.

Thank you for the reply.
As far as model of laptop or motherboard goes, I'm not sure about motherboard, but the 2012 8 GB DDR3 RAM model is Dell Inspiron 5520, unfortunately the service tag is no longer visible, the other laptop with 4 GB DDR3L RAM is Dell Inspiron 3558, service tag DMNYZB2.

Oct 18, 2020
And to address the question about the age--yes, adding and using old used ram is perfectly fine. It's the way to keep systems running. And memory modules don't regularly fail, even over time so almost any 'old' module will work well.

Thank for your reply.

From what I found while searching on the internet, it was suggested that the speeds & voltages of the old RAM reduce over time, so it was suggested that run some tests for speed & check using DMM if it still working on same voltage. Could you please confirm if this is necessary?

The specifications for that unit say DDR3L only, so as I said before, you can only use DDR3L in this unit, but you could use the DDR3L FROM this unit in another machine that only specifically was intended for use with DDR3 SODIMMs because you can use DDR3L in both types of systems but you can only use regular DDR3 SODIMMs in systems that were designed to be used with 1.5v SODIMMs.

Oct 18, 2020
The specifications for that unit say DDR3L only, so as I said before, you can only use DDR3L in this unit, but you could use the DDR3L FROM this unit in another machine that only specifically was intended for use with DDR3 SODIMMs because you can use DDR3L in both types of systems but you can only use regular DDR3 SODIMMs in systems that were designed to be used with 1.5v SODIMMs.

Thank you very much, really appreciate your help.

Thank for your reply.

From what I found while searching on the internet, it was suggested that the speeds & voltages of the old RAM reduce over time, so it was suggested that run some tests for speed & check using DMM if it still working on same voltage. Could you please confirm if this is necessary?
Testing ram for proper function isn't a bad idea before use--new or used. But the idea that they somehow 'wear out' over time is a bit ridiculous. The only place I've seen that is when memory and cpus simply can't overclock like they used to, but for standard speeds, never heard of anything like this and definitely haven't experienced it with all the used ram I have.

Oct 18, 2020
Thanks for your reply & sorry for the delayed response, somehow your post got missed.

Testing ram for proper function isn't a bad idea before use--new or used. But the idea that they somehow 'wear out' over time is a bit ridiculous. The only place I've seen that is when memory and cpus simply can't overclock like they used to, but for standard speeds, never heard of anything like this and definitely haven't experienced it with all the used ram I have.

This is good to know, wasn't aware of this. Also since the RAM upgrade wasn't compatible, I didn't go ahead with the upgrade.