Question Can I replace a faulty ram stick with identical specs from different brand?

ChiBuki

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Recently I kept getting tab crashes on all browsers and several "Stop code: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" blue screens. After troubleshooting, my PC runs fine using just one of my two 16GB RAM sticks so I determined the other one has gotten faulty after 4 years.

My RAM is CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) [product ID CMK32GX4M2E3200C16] ver 5.32 and they don't come in singles apparently. I'm a heavy multitasker and have been using most or all of the 16GB left I have so I want to go back to 32GB but spending $100 for a new pair is a bit much. If I can find it, is it a good idea to stick another DDR4 16GB 3200mhz 1.35v from another brand?

ChiBuki

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
What motherboard do you have?

Is the other RAM listed in the motherboard's QVL?
The motherboard is GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI-- RGB Fusion, 3x PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.1 Gen2, 6x USB 3.1 Gen1

I'm still learning about hardware. Where do I find the QVL?

Never mind that. This is the QVL: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370XP-SLI-rev-10/support#support-doc

One of the RAMs I'm looking at is PVS416G320C6 but it's not listed under DDR4 3200MHz, and so is my current RAM apparently.

Last edited:

ChiBuki

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
That's a good sign.

There is great chance that it would work.
Thanks for the response. I've learned about QVL today and referred to this post to check the product IDs for both, they're basically identical, including the latency and voltage, albeit different brands.

The GIGABYTE QVL isn't very helpful, can you elaborate why it's a good sign?

The GIGABYTE QVL isn't very helpful, can you elaborate why it's a good sign?

The fact that your actual RAM is not listed usually means that the motherboard is widely compatible with RAM from different brands. If you are buying RAM for the first time, the QVL might be useful, but if you are upgrading RAM, the old stick can serve as reference too.