Question Can I repurpose my old laptop to be a monitor for my android phone?

chohoro

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
I have an old windows laptop I dont use because it freezes. Probably some kind of power issue, which I can't fix by swapping out any part (ive tried).
Instead of buying a new one, is there a way to use my android phone as the guts, and the keyboard and screen of my laptop as i/o?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have seen a couple of DIY android to "laptop" conversions but am unsure that the creator used "stock" laptop parts to make it happen.

There are a bevy of items that can be used to convert various screens to an interface that (for instance) a Raspberry Pi can use. I have seen a build where a guy put an apple phone with a bad screen into a homemade case, but don't know what parts he used to achieve it.

I would consider that, for all the trouble, there are a multitude of small screen "smart" monitors that can be used as such, and any Bluetooth keyboard and mouse can be sync'ed to a phone for use.

USAFRet

Titan
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nothing is "impossible".

But there are no adapters you can buy for this. It would be 100% custom wiring and low level coding.

Input:
You'll have to discover how the keyboard and trackpad talk to the laptop.
Adapt that for what the phone will accept as input.

Output:
What video output does the phone do?
You'll have to adapt that for whatever the laptop screen will take. And adapt some sort of power. The phone almost certainly can't power a laptop screen.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
the way you've worded you question is not that of knowing how to undertake an interesting DIY project, but that of you wanting to use the screen with your Android device for sake of having a larger screen to work with because you don't want to buy a new laptop.

to fix this, assuming there's not important information on the hard drive of the laptop, you can just wipe it and do a clean install of Windows 10 assuming it has decent enough hardware to support it.

alternatively, you can wipe it and install a Linux operating system and that should breath new life into your old machine allowing you to use it for web browsing and stuff like normal.