[SOLVED] can i reuse the win10 key if i take the current drive from my computer to a new computer?

Nov 25, 2019
Hi all, so I'm upgrading my current PC and was just wondering if I can use the same product key if I install the drives to the new PC when all other components are brand new. or is the key bounded to the hardware of my current rig? please help. thanks :)
edit: I've seen website that says to enter certain commands on cmd to deactivate the product key from the drive then you can use the key again. is this true?

Solution
Where did the current Win 10 license come from?

Licensing:
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

And the other half of the question, "if I install the drives to the new PC when all other components are brand new "

THis will probably require a new OS install. Not simply move the drive over to the new hardware.
Nov 25, 2019
as long your windows 10 is linked to your online microsoft account, it will activate on your new PC (can take some time, MS servers works in mysterious way)
also u can check your devices in ms account page, and remove any older u dont use anymore
so i can use my drive and just sign in to Microsoft using the account im using right now to activate windows?

Perform clean install of windows (same edition HOME/PRO as on old pc).
Use windows activation troubleshooter to transfer windows license from old pc to new one.

If you try to avoid clean install, possible complications:
system doesn't boot,​
driver incompatibilities cause impaired performance and crashes/bsods,​
not possible to activate windows.​

Reactions: ozone_

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Hi all, so I'm upgrading my current PC and was just wondering if I can use the same product key if I install the drives to the new PC when all other components are brand new. or is the key bounded to the hardware of my current rig? please help. thanks :)
edit: I've seen website that says to enter certain commands on cmd to deactivate the product key from the drive then you can use the key again. is this true?

Not all licenses are transferable. If you have an OEM license, it is already tied to your mainboard, and unless you replaced your mainboard with the same or similar mainboard you cannot transfer it.

I have just googled and found the article below. You can google "Transfer Windows 10 license"

not sure what do you mean
u can use 1 key on 1 pc, once u activate it and link it to your ms account, u wont need key anymore, it will activate on that pc anytime u do fresh install without key and sign in to your online account
if u want to sell pc with os without key, or move key to another pc u just go to your microsoft accunt page, go to devices, remove your activated device and it will stop activating on that device
then u move to next device and install it there, u will need to enter key in this case

There may be some confusion on what will work vs what is legal from a licensing perspective.

Microsoft is pretty clear on Windows OEM licenses (licenses that come with your Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc. computer). The license is tied to the specific computer that it was sold with. You cannot move the license to another computer.

As others have said, Microsoft's activation servers work in 'mysterious' ways. Some combinations of moving a license MAY work/activate regardless of what their OEM license states. If whatever you are trying to do works for you, great!

USAFRet

Titan
Where did the current Win 10 license come from?

Licensing:
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

And the other half of the question, "if I install the drives to the new PC when all other components are brand new "

THis will probably require a new OS install. Not simply move the drive over to the new hardware.

Solution